Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can my PSU handle this new 4890 ? an then some ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 4, 2009 4:14:52 AM

I'm in the market atm to get a new graphic's card either the EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 (ASUS) or the GV-R489OC-1GD (GigaByte) and was wondering if my PSU can even handle it. My PSU is and Antec TPII 550Watt with 2 19amp 12v rails but I'm not totally convinced my PSU can handle that and my 3 HDDs and 5 80mm case fans and my CD/DVD burner all at the same time with this new card as they use 190watts each at max peak (wiki) X_x. some feedback would be nice as I'm on a budget and am hopefully getting the card some time just after the 10th of this month :D .

My system spec's incase there needed are:
AMD X2 5400+ @ 2.8GHz
4Gigs of DDR2 800MHz
MSI K9A2GM V3 mobo
MSI ATI HD 4670 512MB (Replacing)
x2 WD 80Gig HDDs (Soon to get a Segate 750Gig)
Sony CD/DVD burner
Antec TPII 550Watt PSU (2x 19Amp rails)

Also I was looking for a site or app that showed me how many watts my systems actually using, I've used one before but forgot where I found it >.< lols.

More about : psu handle 4890

September 4, 2009 4:22:00 AM

that psu isnt SLI compatible so it probably doesnt even have 2 6pins for the card or in some peoples case a 8 pin and a 6 pin. there are adapters but i dont know how well those work. my 4890 came with the appropriate molex to 6pin's but i dont trust using them.

for future upgrade's you might want to look into a psu with 4 pci-e powers cables.
September 4, 2009 4:48:11 AM

ya I was thinking about that so I just bought a 750Watt PSU off Newegg lols
Related resources
Anonymous
September 4, 2009 4:54:13 AM

What brand is it and what amperage?
Corsair, PC P&C, OCZ, Enermax, ...
September 4, 2009 5:01:34 AM

I believe it will work, however I've found that the closer you are to the peak output the shorter the life of the PSU. Additionally, Truepower power supplies are a tier 3 PSU according to http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx . So I would say that a PSU upgrade is not a must, but I would upgrade it, and it is definitely something you should look at in the future.

A kill a watt electricity load meter might be helpful: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Newegg power supply calculator reccomends a 610 watt psu: http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

Edit: While I was writing this I see that you already bought a new power supply. Good idea.
September 4, 2009 5:05:23 AM

Is this the PSU that you have?

Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hopefully not cause the PSU above has more than enough power for your rig....
September 4, 2009 5:07:08 AM

kaitheus said:
I'm in the market atm to get a new graphic's card either the EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 (ASUS) or the GV-R489OC-1GD (GigaByte) and was wondering if my PSU can even handle it. My PSU is and Antec TPII 550Watt with 2 19amp 12v rails but I'm not totally convinced my PSU can handle that and my 3 HDDs and 5 80mm case fans and my CD/DVD burner all at the same time with this new card as they use 190watts each at max peak (wiki) X_x. some feedback would be nice as I'm on a budget and am hopefully getting the card some time just after the 10th of this month :D .

My system spec's incase there needed are:
AMD X2 5400+ @ 2.8GHz
4Gigs of DDR2 800MHz
MSI K9A2GM V3 mobo
MSI ATI HD 4670 512MB (Replacing)
x2 WD 80Gig HDDs (Soon to get a Segate 750Gig)
Sony CD/DVD burner
Antec TPII 550Watt PSU (2x 19Amp rails)

Also I was looking for a site or app that showed me how many watts my systems actually using, I've used one before but forgot where I found it >.< lols.


Here you go :

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
September 4, 2009 5:09:27 AM

OvrClkr said:
Is this the PSU that you have?

Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hopefully not cause the PSU above has more than enough power for your rig....


I don't believe so, he said that his PSU has 2 19A 12v rails, that one has 3 20A 12v rails
September 4, 2009 5:11:09 AM

Yea I know but I cannot find the PSU he is taking about, so that why I asked....

Anyways most 550w PSU's are more than enough for his system anyways, specially if it is made by Antec.... Just a heads up.....
September 4, 2009 5:32:16 AM

The new PSU I'm getting it a 750Watt Antec psu and my CPU and most of my current system (mobo,ram,cpu, and the vid) are all being replaced shortly with an AMD Phenem II x4 955 based system but thats later on this is just a low budget pc I put together to play the newer games like Crysis etc so that bottle necking wont bother me if its even noticeable as it is I get an average 35+ FPS in crysis on high settings :D  and my current PSU I have had about 3 years now an for some reason I remember it had SLI support but not totally sure I'll have to find the manual lol

URL postings gawd awful here to learn LOL
September 4, 2009 5:47:04 AM

I also plan to run crossfire later so a 520watt would be pushing it on my new system I'm building later on. So the 750watts a good idea regardless lol
September 4, 2009 5:47:54 AM

Quote:
Spending a 100 dollars for a 500w psu is an utter and complete waste

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have that one. Works great except it's not a modular


Nobody was recommending spending 100 dollars on a 500W PSU.

To each his own. However I would never buy that Cooler Master eXtreme power supply, it's rated a Tier4 PSU with this note next to it: (subtract 100watts from labeled wattage) http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx Furthermore, it's also only 70% efficient meaning it's louder, lower quality, and will result in higher energy bills.

(Edited for clarity and typos)
September 4, 2009 6:05:46 AM

To OvrClkr: I just used that psucalculatorlite from that site and apparently my system atm is currently using roughly about 240Watts at peak technically for the hardware I currently have installed so with just 1 4890 I should be ok till I get my new system up an running xD
September 4, 2009 6:54:17 AM

kaitheus said:
I also plan to run crossfire later so a 520watt would be pushing it on my new system I'm building later on. So the 750watts a good idea regardless lol


True, that is why I use an 850w PSU.... I used to have dual 250's and soon I will have dual 260's so it is very well needed [:jaydeejohn:5]

+1 ;) 

Better to have more than enough, than have less than you need .......
Anonymous
September 4, 2009 7:11:34 AM

I meant 750W @ 60 Amp not 55A :)  That will even run two GTX 275.
September 4, 2009 4:00:38 PM

He's got an older Truepower II, not the Truepower New (which would probably be on Tier 2 or maybe even 1). If the 750W PSU you got off Newegg is a Truepower New (or Earthwatts), you'll be fine.
That Coolermaster has the telltale little red voltage switch, that means it is not up to modern standards. It's probably overrated too, but if you're only pulling 300W from it, it doesn't matter.
That tiered listing was a useful resource a couple of years ago, but I believe it has become too obsolete to be useful, especially on the best tiers. It is an oversimplification, but if you buy a PSU today with full range Active PFC and 80+ certification, I am confident you will not have gotten garbage. A typical Tier-5 PSU will croak long before it gets to 100% load (75% anyone?), but to get 80+ certified, a PSU had to have been able to provide 100% of its labeled capacity, and do it efficiently.
September 4, 2009 4:23:00 PM

Just to let everyone know I'm getting the Antec TP-750 Blue Continuous Power psu from Newegg.com which has 4 12v rails at 25 amps each and is 80+ certified, so that should handle everything just fine :D 
September 4, 2009 5:57:42 PM

Dont worry a 550w will handle all your needs ,look around at toms news articles there was a gtx 295 peak level consumed 502w ,while your 4980 is with lower consumption it will suffice trust me.
September 4, 2009 10:06:22 PM

lorik said:
Dont worry a 550w will handle all your needs ,look around at toms news articles there was a gtx 295 peak level consumed 502w ,while your 4980 is with lower consumption it will suffice trust me.


That's what I was thinking all along I just wanted to be sure before I stuck a new card in an started getting random restarts only to figure out my PSUs not packing as much power as it should be, and on the plus side I'm completely rebuilding a new PC soon ( in about 3-5 months)so this new Antec 750Watt is well needed for that new system as I'll be running 2 4890s in crossfire with a 955 Phenom :D 
September 4, 2009 10:40:33 PM

Nice choice. Have fun with your build.
September 5, 2009 5:44:14 AM

I just got done looking more closely at my 550watt psu an it does have 6-pin PCI-E power cables, so I'm all set till I make my new system :D 
!