darkslash_323

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm currently thinking about getting a SSD and after reading around, I've narrowed it down to 3 drives, but I'm not sure which one would be better. I'm looking for reliability and a longer life span more than speed.

The 3 that I'm currently considering are:

1) Intel 320 80gb
2) OCZ Agility 2 Series 80gb
3) Crucial RealSSD C300 64gb.

I'm just planning to load the OS, some programs and a few games on to the SSD.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Solution
I would go with the Intel 320 drive over the other two. It is the more reliable drive (now with a 5 yr warranty) & performance is pretty much on par with the other two.

SofiaBrown

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Try to keep these points while purchasing HDD
1) the warranty period
2) Brand Value
3) Nearest Service Center
4) Good Customer Reviews

On the basis of these points i would like to go for Intel 320 80gb .

darkslash_323

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Thanks for all the replies guys! I was leaning towards the Intel 320 and I think I might just go for that one.

One more question though....I was looking at the specs and description for the Intel 320 ssd and was wondering if it has TRIM support? Because I can't find that anywhere in the description.

Thanks!

The answer to your question is yes. The Intel 320 series ssd's definitely make use of TRIM. Actually, TRIM is a Windows 7 function. By default, TRIM is enabled in Windows 7.

There are other brands that aren't able to use the Windows TRIM function. Instead they rely solely on their own internal "garbage collection" function.

Normally TRIM only works with single ssd's. It will not work with mutiple ssd's installed in a RAID array. From what I understand that is about to change. OCZ has announced they have figured out a way for multiple ssd's in a RAID array to use TRIM.

darkslash_323

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
So this is a bit off topic, but I'm curious about whether or not an SSD can have both its own garbage collection and support TRIM? If so, which one would be better to use?

Also, I read that some brands of SSDs require the BIOS to be set to ACHI mode in order for it to be used correctly/achieve certain speeds. Is this the same for this Intel 320?( for those who have experience using it)

Sorry for the noob questions, but I had to ask lol

Thanks!

The answer to your first question is yes. The Windows 7 TRIM function and the ssd's "garbage collection" work together. The TRIM function is a message from Windows to the ssd identifying data blocks that are no longer needed.

The answer to your second question is yes. BIOS should be set to AHCI mode for the Intel 320 series ssd's.

Here is a link to a series of ssd guides you might find helpful:

http://thessdreview.com/category/ssd-guides/