Cpu Corrosion?

thepunshment

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
1. First of all, I need to know if cpu corrosion is something that actually occurs. I heard it happens when your cpu runs hotter than it should.

2. Second, How can i keep my cpu running cooler? My i7-860 is running at 50c at 20% and it runs at 70c when prime 95 is running. Is this ok? or should i buy new thermal grease because i had to take off my heatsink once because it wasn't put on correctly the first time.

thx for the help guys!

Solution
CPU and CPU socket pins are microplated with gold. Gold is pretty much chemically inert under normal conditions. Corrosion shouldn't be a problem.
Corrosion is the wrong term, corrosion is a chemical term. Running a CPU at high temperatures can damage the internal structure and cause it do die prematurely, but it wont cause it to 'corrode'

Get an aftermarket heatsink that does not use the stupid intel pushpins, get some thermal grease too, those two together should lower your temperatures significantly.

i agree. need new thermal compound

Unless some has a dead cpu, i dont think anyone will do something like that to a working cpu. ;)