Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cpu Corrosion?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 8, 2009 5:27:59 PM

1. First of all, I need to know if cpu corrosion is something that actually occurs. I heard it happens when your cpu runs hotter than it should.

2. Second, How can i keep my cpu running cooler? My i7-860 is running at 50c at 20% and it runs at 70c when prime 95 is running. Is this ok? or should i buy new thermal grease because i had to take off my heatsink once because it wasn't put on correctly the first time.

thx for the help guys!

More about : cpu corrosion

a c 206 à CPUs
November 8, 2009 5:44:22 PM

Corrosion is the wrong term, corrosion is a chemical term. Running a CPU at high temperatures can damage the internal structure and cause it do die prematurely, but it wont cause it to 'corrode'

Get an aftermarket heatsink that does not use the stupid intel pushpins, get some thermal grease too, those two together should lower your temperatures significantly.
m
l
a c 213 à CPUs
November 8, 2009 5:45:17 PM

If by corrosion you mean "premature failure" yes, excess heat does effect CPU life.

If you take off a HS, you have to clean both the CPU and the HS with alcohol removing all traces of the material before applying new thermal compound.
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2009 6:41:30 PM

If the Heatsink is removed, for any reason, new thermal paste needs to be applied. So if you took yours off, and didn't clean + put on new thermal paste, that's your heat culprit.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2009 6:44:32 PM

Dekasav said:
If the Heatsink is removed, for any reason, new thermal paste needs to be applied. So if you took yours off, and didn't clean + put on new thermal paste, that's your heat culprit.

i agree. need new thermal compound
m
l
November 8, 2009 11:22:50 PM

ahh i cant choose who is the best
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2009 1:28:50 AM

me
m
l
November 9, 2009 1:35:51 AM

The CPU MAY corrode ONLY if it is met with acidic/alkaline agents. Have never tried doing that. Perhaps someone else can give some light into this?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2009 1:33:10 PM

alikum said:
The CPU MAY corrode ONLY if it is met with acidic/alkaline agents. Have never tried doing that. Perhaps someone else can give some light into this?

Unless some has a dead cpu, i dont think anyone will do something like that to a working cpu. ;) 
m
l

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
November 9, 2009 2:11:23 PM

CPU and CPU socket pins are microplated with gold. Gold is pretty much chemically inert under normal conditions. Corrosion shouldn't be a problem.
November 18, 2009 10:06:06 PM

Wow you guys got ownt. this guy wins
m
l
!