Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Whats slowing me down??!

Last response: in CPUs
November 8, 2009 5:56:39 PM

Ok there has been a problem with my pc iv'e just been ignoring for the past few weeks. During games and everything else my pc is extremely fast, and it boots in about 20 seconds. But the problem is that once iv'e booted, i cant do anything for like 3 minutes! I am able to try to open programs, but then they stop responding or dont open at all, then windows explorer stops responding. Once i managed to open speedfan when this happens, and my usage was at 50%!!!

This started happening a week or two ago, and i dont know whats wrong. I scanned for viruses and spyware with avira but nothing came up.

-full specs in sig

More about : whats slowing

November 8, 2009 6:07:08 PM

Probably junk that's built up over time that's bogging down your PC, since the problem occurs right when your OS starts loading... well... all the stuff it loads. I'd recommend a format and clean install of your OS of choice. That'll get things running nice and quick again.
Score
November 8, 2009 6:13:39 PM

Kraynor said:
Probably junk that's built up over time that's bogging down your PC, since the problem occurs right when your OS starts loading... well... all the stuff it loads. I'd recommend a format and clean install of your OS of choice. That'll get things running nice and quick again.

hmm i was worrying that might be the problem... If i bought an SSD just for the OS would i notice faster boot times and loading times?
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2009 6:26:25 PM

a bit

but totally not worth it
Score
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2009 6:31:35 PM

yannifb said:
hmm i was worrying that might be the problem... If i bought an SSD just for the OS would i notice faster boot times and loading times?

Yes you would.

Mainstream HDD high read speeds: Average is some where between 75 MB to 125 mb a second.

SSD's: 250 MB a second.

Now one of the other thing's that you could do is disable alot of your start up programs. this will aloud your HDD to work on fewer stuff allowing you work on your computer sooner.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2009 6:40:24 PM

It could be your motherboard too.

My DX58SO motherboard takes almost 2 minutes for startup/BIOS/etc to finish before it enters the login screen.
Score
November 8, 2009 9:27:02 PM

it could be that u installed a device say bluetooth or some thinh like that and the start up sequence is gettin chewed as it is loading all the drivers.....would slow it down considerably.....the more opens the sloewr it will run...........dont know if this helps........ty
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 8, 2009 10:22:44 PM

Two to three minutes is normal boot time - for a HD. If you say you boot in 20 seconds then wait up to three minutes, then I suspect you are seeing your table top but the system is still booting. And trying to use it during that time just slows the boot down more - especially as you try to use programs before Windows has finished loading. Maybe some of the other thinks mentioned are also a factor - but the biggest is that it has not finished booting.
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2010 3:02:21 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!