Graphics Temp

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
i have a 9500 gs and i play cod4 cod 5 fallout 3 etc games now my tempature rises to 86C max is this normal for this type of card and when i want to put up the fan speed and press apply i can hear the fan go up and when i minimize or close it goes back to auto? it is a hp pavilion elite m9340f please help!

acer0169

Distinguished
Hmm, does seem a little high.

Before I upgraded the cooling, my 8600GTS used to be up at around 75C when gaming which for me was waayy to high. The 8 series and 9 series cards don't have very good cooling in my opinion and should always be upgraded with third party cooling.

I bought a Zalman cooler for my 8600GTS and it dropped load temps by 25C which is a HUGE drop. I now have two of these cards in SLI both using the Zalman cooler and both staying between 36C and 50C.

The games you posted are quite graphical games, so your GPU will be working hard and getting hot when running them. I would look into getting some extra cooling for saying the Zalmans I use were only like £20 a pop.

Alternatively, download yourself a copy of RivaTuner.

RT will let you set your fan to 100% and it will keep it that way, maybe helping with your temps under load?

Hope this helps mate.

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

Yea i tried rivatuner but as i mentioned it goes back to default i leave it open and it stays at the selected fan speed is that what i am supposed to do? and is 100% fan speed safe for a 9500gs stock hp?
Can you please send me a link to a zalman cooler for my 9500gs?
and if i upgrade the cooler will i need to upgrade the psu?