Sign in with
Your question

HKPC and media server build check please...

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2009 7:24:33 PM

Looking to buy within a week a home media server setup from scratch. Along with that functionality, I need it to directly run an outdoor speaker system amp. With that in mind, direct sound output is mandatory which is why I didn't run a Windows Media Server off the shelf. I also like the HDMI output of the listed MOBO but only really need it when I upgrade to Blueray in a year and run my kitchen HD panel directly from this unit (don't have that yet but I'm calling it a HKPC).

Wanted functions in order:
Remote backup location of multiple other PC's in house
Basic audio out to an amp is a must
Media storage that can be expanded with relative ease w/ some form of RAID.
Under $600 to my door not counting OS
Quiet

1) Which OS exactly will suit me the best for the majority of the things listed with relative ease? I was assuming Windows 7 Ult 64
2) What hardware should I change out? I just whipped this up today so no sweat swapping out anything.

2x
HITACHI 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

I liked the HDMI and plenty of SATA
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD MOBO

I had no clue here...
XCLIO STABLEPOWER 500W 500W ATX SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Low power=cool=quiet?
AMD Phenom 9350e Agena 2.0GHz Socket AM2+ 65W Quad-Core Processor Model HD9350ODGHBOX

Uhhh...
Rosewill Conqueror WBK Triple 120mm Fans Steel ATX Mid tower Computer Case with Side Panel

It was cheap...
Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2/2G

Along with a free 8gig flash drive it all = $531 today

Please help! I need the backup function sooner rather than later and I would beat this to death myself if I wasn't in a relative hurry.

Thank you for your time.
August 14, 2009 7:45:52 PM

don't bother paying extra money for Ultimate, just get Vista Home Premium, and upgrade to windows 7 home premium. If you need some extra networking functionality like remote desktop to this machine, then just go up to Vista business with an upgrade path to windows 7 professional. The extras included in Ultimate are for enterprise level functionality like remote hosted applications, and booting off virtual drives. I'd switch out the Hitachi drives, they are a bit dated. Much better performance to be had with the WD Caviars, Seagate Baracudas (7200.12), or even Samsung F2s. Rosewill is pretty generic when it comes to cases, I find Antec or Coolermaster to be good ones to work with and not too expensive. Though if you want to get fancy, mod a toaster oven to be your computer case and you may have something for your "HKPC" concept
m
l
August 14, 2009 7:54:50 PM

I do happen to have a brand new extra black microwave with a coffee maker built in I might be able to mod ;) 

I do want remote desktop for sure. I should have added that, sorry.

I also do have a server 2008 lic floating around but I figured the vista/7 path was more media friendly but I didn't think of business having the media functions Ultimate had.

I will look for new drives and at other cases, TYVM :) 

Now that I think about it, I have the antique floorstanding radio from "A Christmas Story" I was saving for a "magic genie/8-ball" mod I can use too, that might be cool for this and that.........
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2009 8:22:39 PM

Vista business doesn't, but windows 7 professional will... The whole non-tiered Vista feature sets was a bad idea, at least the windows 7 feature sets make more sense.
m
l
August 14, 2009 8:25:53 PM

Sucks I won't have the Media Server function until 7 upgrade though. Still seems like the smartest plan though which saves a few $ and that aint not bad.
m
l
August 15, 2009 3:55:12 AM

Haha i like the idea of a HKPC :p  Hmm how about an mATX/shoebox set up? Dun think you require a quad for this task though ^^

m
l
August 17, 2009 1:31:08 PM

That box doesn't have enough internal SATA slots but the proc/mobo looks nice. I only looked at the 4 core to start based on the low power.
m
l
!