250 GB HDD with D845GERG2

freephoneid

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hi,

I've P4 desktop computer with Intel chipset D845GERG2 with 2 GB RAM. I currently have 40 GB of hard disk. Now, I've another hard disk of 250 GB capacity & I wanted to connect this to my desktop but somehow, it is not getting recognized. Please note that both are ATA ahrd disk (not SATA).

Can any one tell me if D845GERG2 supports hard disk with 250 GB capacity? If so, how do I connect it successfully so that it'll get recognized?

I'll really appreciate if some one can help me out.

Thanks!

freephoneid

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010

Hello Gurus,

Can any one help me out with this issue?

Thanks!

flycpd

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
First, go into computer management and see if the drive is there. If it is, format the drive and you're good to go. If it doesn't show there, check and make sure that one of your HDDs are set up as "master" and the other as "slave", and then check in computer management again.

freephoneid

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hi flycpd,

Thanks for the reply. For some reason, the drive is not showing up in computer management. I removed my old 40 GB drive as well & connected only this 250 GB drive but still no luck.

Does this motherboard support hard disks with high capacity?? I couldn't find any answers to intel's motherboards specs either.

Do I need to change any bios setting??

Thanks!

flycpd

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I couldn't find anything about the mobo supporting or not supporting larger HDDs. Go into your BIOS and see if the drive is showing up there. If it is, you should be able to format the drive. If you have a friend (or even a not so bad enemy), you might try pluging the HDD into their machine and see if you can format it there. If it isn't seen in another machine you may have a DOA drive that needs to be RMAd. I did have a drive act that way once, but formatting it in another machine and then putting it back did the trick.

freephoneid

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hi flycpd,

Thanks again for your reply. I'll try these options. But I would like to know what is DOA drive & what do you mean by RMAd. How can I do this, if all other options fail?

Thanks!

flycpd

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
DOA means Dead On Arival (it may be a bad HDD) and RMA means to return it for a working model. I did a search by your mobo chipset # on Yahoo and did find an Intel page that has the mobo manual and other info on it. The first thing I would try is the second ATA port and a new cable and see if that works. Also check and see if your HDD has jumper settings not only for "master" and "slave", but some drives have a seperate setting for being used as a single drive. If you have your boot drive on the primary IDE channel, try putting the 250 on th secondary channel as a single drive or "master" and see if that works. If it does, then change whatever else is on that channel to "slave" and you should be good to go. Let me know if this works an we will go from there. Also, let me know the make and model of the 250 HDD and your boot drive as well.

freephoneid

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010

Hi,

Here are the details of my drives:

Old Drive:
Samsung 40 GB

New Drive 250 GB:
Make: Western Digital IDE
LBA 488397168
Model: WD2500JB-00KFAO

I just tried this new drive in my friends computer as well but it was not detected even there. But there is a slight difference here: My friend's machine is new which has latest motherboard & he uses a SATA drive & tried to connect this Western Digital IDE drive but the bios cannot simply detect it.

I'm going to see if I can read the drive through external enclosure but I'm pretty sure it'll be detected there.

I did all the steps as you mentioned but still bios is not showing up the drive! Someone mentioned that I may need to enable legacy IDE port but I'm not sure how to do that. Also, my old Samsung drive was IDE only, then why do I still need to enable these legacy port?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

freephoneid

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hi,

I tried every single possibility but the drive is not getting detected in Bios at all. I read somewhere that Western Digital drives require different jumpers but not sure whats meant by that exactly.

If any one has had similar problem, please share the experience.

Appreciate all the help!

Thanks!

All jumpers work the same. Use the shunt shown in the diagram and insert it over the proper pins. If your other drive is a master, make the WD a slave. if the other drive is a slave, make the WD drive the master. Just look at the pin diagram in the link I sent "Single", "master", and "slave are the common settings and I wouldn't be suprised if you have the 6 pin configuration. The black bar notes the position of the shunt across the pins.