Sign in with
Your question

Reinstalling windows 7 oem onto a new ssd

Last response: in Storage
May 31, 2011 4:35:16 AM

hey guys, need help, looking to buy an ocz vertex 2 and reinstall my copy of windows 7 oem onto the new drive. is this easy to do? is there a chance i could lose date from my current hdd? whats the best and easiest way to reinstall windows.. im pretty sure i can reinstall, correct me if im wrong, but the license is tied to the mobo yeh?
June 3, 2011 10:31:00 PM

The windows OEM is tied to the mobo and not the hard drive. You should be able to do it without any issues, though sometimes it doesnt like going onto a new hard drive and you have to call microsoft.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 4, 2011 5:15:49 AM

Reinstall should be no problem. Back up your User folder so you don't lose any data. After installing Windows on the SSD, you need to optimize Windows to get the most performance and life from your new SSD. Here is a great site by tecmo34...

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
m
l
Related resources
June 4, 2011 8:30:37 AM

thanks for the replies guys, ok, sounds simple enough, thought there would be a lot of stuffing around involved lol. ok so just back up my user files... what about games and programs like flash cs5 and photoshop, will i have to re install them?
m
l
June 4, 2011 2:17:21 PM

Make sure you disconnect your storage drive before installing W7 to the SSD. If you go to the Intel downloads page there is instruction for the proper order of loading drivers if you have an Intel processor. Read it all.
1. install win7
2. download and install updates and service pack 1 for 7
3. update your chipset. (INF)
4. install Intel rapid storage technlogy (RST)
m
l
a b G Storage
June 4, 2011 5:46:43 PM

If your new SSD is big enough to hold the entire contents of your current boot drive, you can simply clone your current boot drive onto the SSD. Some people say you shouldn't clone to an SSD, but I did it on my laptop with Acronis TrueImage 2010 and had absolutely no problems. You just have to tweak Windows when your finished (Tweak guide URL is in my earlier post).

If your new SSD is too small to contain the entire contents of your current boot drive, or if you just want a fresh install, all programs and applications must be reinstalled. Your data and user files are the only thing that can be directly copied to the new drive.
m
l
!