Status
Not open for further replies.

coolwam

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hello,i'm using the above mobo and pro with 4gb 1333 corsair black, on board graphics and stock cooling. the ambient temperature where i stay is 35-38 and cpu gets to 45-50 on normal use. i tried overclocking using Turbo V to 3.6Ghz and ram from 533 to 667 using amd overdrive. My SMPS blew and the power tripped. thick white fumes came out from my cooler master 500W and i replaced it with a normal 450W(350w true power and reverted to default bios values. however, the pro speed was not going to the default 3.4, instead stayed at 3.42 despite all my efforts at cmos batt and changing mobo pin reset.
and since then, the comp has been extremely unstable and turns off randomly (in both xp and 7, more frequently on 7)and does not power on until i turn the power supply off and on. cool in quiet has always been on. lately it has refused to start even. i just bought it 9 months ago :(

What do u think is the solution to make it stable. i use analysis softwares that run many iterations hence thought a faster clockspeed might save my time. hence tried to overclock :( can anyone tell me what is causing the problem. is my mobo/ pro damaged? the cooler master is given for repair. the dealer refused to replace it. should i get more power? how can i fix it and get the pro to running at 3.4 at least. any help would be very much appreciated.

coolwam

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

thanks for the swift reply. can you please suggest a good PSU, make/wattage.. for the config that i have..
and also, how do i get the pro to running back at 3.4 ?
its refusing to go below 3.42. its shows 3400 in Turbo V but in XP's computer properties, it shows 3.42

coolwam

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

k, so i should just keep increasing the multiplier from the bios itself? i thought it was safer to do using Turbo V since the manuals read that it would select the most stable config and reset to default if it did not work. will software consider core temp while overclocking? thought it would adjust everything automatically depending on the temperature also.

coolwam

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

PRO- X4 965BE @3.4
Mobo- Asus M4A88TD-M EVO
2x2gb corsair black ddr3 @1333

500gb seagate @7500 sata
160gb seagate @7500 pata
liteon DVD drive pata

on board graphics, sound
usb3 adapter in pci slot
stock cooling

smps- had 500w cooler master which blew
now using some random 450w(350 true power)

12V power supply goes up to 12.33V mostly
5v and 3v are fine.
mobo, pro temperatures go up to 55 degrees on normal use.

currently system doesn even start.

the cheapest solution available is preferred. i just need it to work. I'm not an overclocking enthusiast. i just want it to go the extra mile when i need it most. stability is priority.

thanks a lot for your help :)

coolwam

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
thank you. there's light glowing on the motherboard with mains on.. but it shows no signs of switching on when i press the power button on the cabinet.. is my pro/mobo dead? :( :(

You definatly need a good power supply and trying to get the best psu for the lowest price sometimes is a bit unrealistic because in the end you get what you pay for. I know most people are on a budget and don't have a lot of money to spend on a computer , because there are other priorities. Having said that if you can somehow swing it try for a 650w psu , it will give you enough power to do what you want and a little extra for any future additions you may make.

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze W0382RU ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $79.99 and a $20 rebate it is on sale right now at NewEgg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153136&cm_sp=Cat_Power_Supplies-_-Spotlight-_-17-153-136

JBski

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I would get an 80 percent silver rated supply at least.

I've found that when you cheap out on power supplies, you wind up spending the cash for the better one eventually, anyway.

I use a Raidmax 80 plus silver 750W power supply.

coolwam

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

Tried that, not working. i turn supply on, i get led glowing on board. i try switchin on, no response.

coolwam

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

thanx a lot for yor help. i tried that and it dint work. and thats when cooler master replaced my psu. so now it works.. but every other time it fails to switch on. especially after i shut it down after working for long hours./ i'd keep pressing the power button and it would not turn on. then i need to open up the cabinet n press the "memset" button on the motherboard. n then it starts.. sometimes it starts if i keep pressing the power button multiple times. i tried changing the cabinet. so its not a faulty switch.

wonder if my mobo is damaged. my old intel850gb used to show similar problems before it finally died. that was caused by a faulty psu too. the technician had installed a psu that did not have a power outlet for the RD ram. (which i came to know of much later.)

Status
Not open for further replies.