First Time Build

First time building a computer and this is the build I want to go with:

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

I have no idea what to do for a power supply or cooling, any recommendations? And how about a good productivity/gaming keyboard and mouse?
10 answers Last reply
More about first time build
  1. for PSU, Corsair 650 watt would be a good choice. OCZ/PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, are good brands for PSU too. I like the Logitech G15/G11 for keyboards, and the G9 Mouse is my new favorite. I've used Razer mice for the past 5 years or so, and they're good too, but I like the G9 much more now.
  2. A Corsair 750TX PSU would give you enough headroom to add another 4890 in crossfire down the road.

I'll let someone else recommend a keyboard/mouse.
  3. shortstuff_mt said:
    A Corsair 750TX PSU would give you enough headroom to add another 4890 in crossfire down the road.

I'll let someone else recommend a keyboard/mouse.

definitely bigger PSU if you like to add crossfire. There are other gaming mice and keyboards out there that are fine too.. Saitek makes some good ones, and I think microsoft made a sidewinder keyboard not too long ago, but I always thought those other brands never grasped the productivity aspect of peripherals as well. Logitech addresses both I think.
  4. I just got the logitech mx revolution 5500 keyboard mouse and really like it.
  5. Would a 750 watt be enough for a second 4890? Because that is the eventual goal.

You both also recommended Corsair PSUs.
  6. abennett712 said:
    Would a 750 watt be enough for a second 4890? Because that is the eventual goal.

shortstuff_mt said:
    A Corsair 750TX PSU would give you enough headroom to add another 4890 in crossfire down the road.
  7. lol, just wanted to make sure. 100% new to this stuff. what about cooling?
  8. abennett712 said:
    lol, just wanted to make sure. 100% new to this stuff. what about cooling?

If you're not over clocking, or doing a mild to moderate OC, you'll be fine with the stock HSF. Otherwise, check out the article obsidian linked.
  9. Steelseries 7g Keyboard, great for everything, best response time in keyboards.

G500 for mouse, only 69$ and has 5700 dpi
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems