I'm using an ancient Computer powered by:
Inno3d Nvidia Toranado Geforce FX 5500
an 80 gb Maxtor hd
1GB kingston ddr 333
2 cd roms
i know this an old system but thats beside the point..
Anyways i was posting here a while ago then we had a power outage then when the electricity returned. I powered my spent 30 sec at post screen then after the xp bootscreen. my monitor gives a black screen with the power indicator flashing on and off. btw, there is no problem with the display in safe mode.
Troubleshooting i did:
1. reseated the video card
2. unplugged the psu for a while to remove power from MOBO
3. checked for any burnt smell and any signs of a short
4. checked the ram and for any loose connection
1. I did not overclock my computer
2. I did not change my refresh rate to a value not supported by my monitor
3. I'm sure that i installed the drivers correctly
4. The video card is still new (believe me)
5. I've been using it for a month with no issues whatsoever
HOW IT WAS FIXED:
by doing a SYSTEM RESTORE
I just want know how that happened? any ideas
More about :display windows bootscreen fixed system restore
I would suggest that the power outage fubared one or more sets of drivers either motherboard based or the GPU. This can happen quite easily and is why i keep telling the kids to shut the PC down properly and not just turn it off on the wall on the way out of the bedroom.
Do they listen ? No how many times have i had to re-install windows ? about 3-4 in the course of about a year and a half.
Thats why i think this is whats happened with you, as its working in safe mode it very strongly suggests a driver is to blame.