Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI or Nvidia???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 4, 2009 8:31:14 AM

Well i am planning to buy Me a new graphics card... :bounce:  But i am a bit confused between the two that is ATI or Nvidia??? Which one to buy?? Which one is the best??? :pt1cable:  But also which one will come in the cheap?? :whistle: 

More about : ati nvidia

September 4, 2009 8:41:38 AM

What do you want to play with the new card? What is the resolution you play at? What is your system configuration? Do you want to play with Physx enabled? How cheap?(an aproximation) It may seem as if I'm making fun of you but it would help a lot to know what should we look for.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2009 8:50:07 AM

First of all there is no "best" make.

There are models of ATI that beat some NVIDIA cards, and some NVIDIA cards which beat ATI cards. It all depends on what money you want to spend.

For £100, you can get a GTX260 and the 260 will beat pretty much any other card at that price.

Personally I've always stayed with NVIDIA.
I've had nothing but problems with ATI with crappy build quality cooling, naff software and poor support when it all breaks down. NVIDIA have always worked.. never had to ring support for anything. Kinda' makes me a fanboy I guess.
Score
Related resources
September 4, 2009 8:58:30 AM

I just want to play the games like Prince of Persia latest release.....like Assassins Creed.....and all of this type of games.. :D  :D  I play at 1024X768. resolution normally.

My system Configuration is

Mother board:Intel DG 31PR with integrated GMA 3100

Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHZ

RAM: 2GB DDR 2 (667 MHZ/H ,Zion)

And the cost would be say about 30$-35$. :( 
Score
September 4, 2009 9:47:14 AM

For 1024x768 even the Radeon 3850 would be very good for your system. Especially if you do not use anti aliasing.
Score
September 4, 2009 9:55:25 AM

Yeah but the HD3850 is not at the 30-35$ cost he asked for.
Score
September 4, 2009 9:58:48 AM

Thanx !!! Andraxxus ....
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2009 10:52:09 AM

Your absolute best option for $35 would be This 9600GSO.
It is much more powerful than any other card in it's price range (performing between a 4670 and 9600GT).
Unfortunately, you must spend a little more up front and wait for the rebate.
Regardless, it is well worth the cash and I would recommend saving the extra needed to get it.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2009 11:26:10 AM

ATI and NVIDIA deliver the same quality, it's not like one of them is a better brand and when you have to choose between similar graphics cards from the two brands just go for the cheapest. Unless you use linux, in that case NVIDIA is better, but that has to do with driver support, not the quality of the hardware.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2009 1:26:09 PM

get the 4730. its a dastardly ingenious card.
Score
September 4, 2009 2:11:33 PM

megatubai said:
Well i am planning to buy Me a new graphics card... :bounce:  But i am a bit confused between the two that is ATI or Nvidia??? Which one to buy?? Which one is the best??? :pt1cable:  But also which one will come in the cheap?? :whistle: 

According to my experience, Nvidia is always better than the ATI. Nvidia GPU's produce less heat than the ATI. Most ATI card causes system overheat even in normal room temperature which causes system to freeze. Other nasty problems like driver issues, cooling system, customer support is very poor in ATI.

You can choose Nvidia without worries (whether it's a gaming system or office application system)
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2009 2:13:17 PM

ati is much better since amd took them over
Score
September 6, 2009 7:15:49 PM

nVidia rules, because there are many games that "like" nVidia more, especially Mirror's Edge, since PhysX makes it work perfect. all those effects, looks nice. when you load GTA:SA, one of the first things you see is the sign "the way nVidia is meant to be played". i like nvidia more, but some people may tell you ATI performs better. well, it might, but i think there will soon be more and more games that support physx. for example, splinter cell:conviction that is coming pretty soon. i think there will be physx enalbed. but well, i'm out of idea. nVidia works way much better than ATI, i think it eats up less energy, it has less but more powerful processors, and with release of Windows 7 and nVidia's GTX 3xx series cards, the games will run very well. DirectX 11 is promised to show characters like in the movies. If you can't wait and have about as i guess $700-800, get GTX 3xx video card and it'll be worth it. and good if you bought your computer recently, since that way you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 7. if not, i'd recommend you spend some more bucks and get Windows 7. (or at least vista with upgrade to windows 7)
Score
September 6, 2009 9:16:49 PM

Nvidia is the powerhouse it has like the top 4 out of 5 spots it also costs more for the preformance ATI is best if you dont have the money to waste but most of the time for like $20-$50 more you can get a better Nvidia card

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

this sites numbers are not 100% they forexample dont use SLI in there tests so things like the GTX 295 which is currently the best card there is comes in lower then it should but you can get an idea of what most of the cards are power wise from this
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2009 7:20:42 AM

miha2 said:
nVidia rules, because there are many games that "like" nVidia more, especially Mirror's Edge, since PhysX makes it work perfect. all those effects, looks nice. when you load GTA:SA, one of the first things you see is the sign "the way nVidia is meant to be played"

That's just a cheap marketing trick, doesn't mean anything in the real world, in the end it's all about drivers. No one would be stupid enough to make a game that needs PhysX to run well, that would leave out some 30%-40% of all gamers, if not more.
Score
September 7, 2009 7:26:58 AM

Gulli said:
That's just a cheap marketing trick, doesn't mean anything in the real world, in the end it's all about drivers. No one would be stupid enough to make a game that needs PhysX to run well, that would leave out some 30%-40% of all gamers, if not more.

There are some coding differences, but in the main, you are correct. TGGA would be a better resource for expanding on that subject, perhaps he'll look in.
Score
September 7, 2009 12:12:44 PM

megatubai: And the cost would be say about 30$-35$. :( 
miha2: If you can't wait and have about as i guess $700-800, get GTX 3xx video card and it'll be worth it.
This comment is just crazy funny.Good one miha2.
I understand you were trying to help him but it was just funny.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2009 4:31:19 PM

megatubai,

35 bucks isn't gonna get you anything worth buying, unless you buy something secondhand, that way you might get something like a HD 3850, HD 4650 or HD 4670 from ATI or a 7800GT, 8600GT, 8800GT, or 9600GT from NVIDIA, those are the cards that can play most games well at your resolution.
Score
October 3, 2009 9:40:09 PM

miha2 said:
nVidia rules, because there are many games that "like" nVidia more, especially Mirror's Edge, since PhysX makes it work perfect. all those effects, looks nice. when you load GTA:SA, one of the first things you see is the sign "the way nVidia is meant to be played". i like nvidia more, but some people may tell you ATI performs better. well, it might, but i think there will soon be more and more games that support physx. for example, splinter cell:conviction that is coming pretty soon. i think there will be physx enalbed. but well, i'm out of idea. nVidia works way much better than ATI, i think it eats up less energy, it has less but more powerful processors, and with release of Windows 7 and nVidia's GTX 3xx series cards, the games will run very well. DirectX 11 is promised to show characters like in the movies. If you can't wait and have about as i guess $700-800, get GTX 3xx video card and it'll be worth it. and good if you bought your computer recently, since that way you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 7. if not, i'd recommend you spend some more bucks and get Windows 7. (or at least vista with upgrade to windows 7)

You are absolutely right. I tested some games in both ATI and nVidia Cards. The games (nVidia supported) which crashed under ATI, ran very well under nVidia. Also the temp of nVidia is less then ATI in both idle and load.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 10:52:23 PM

nahid08 said:
You are absolutely right. I tested some games in both ATI and nVidia Cards. The games (nVidia supported) which crashed under ATI, ran very well under nVidia. Also the temp of nVidia is less then ATI in both idle and load.

1) You're stupid, thats why the games crashed.

2) This is a month old thread.
Score
October 3, 2009 10:56:57 PM

jennyh said:

...Uhh, personal insults could also fall into the 'stupid' category, fan-person.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 10:59:59 PM

It's not a personal insult when it's true.
Score
October 3, 2009 11:04:02 PM

Andraxxus said:
megatubai: And the cost would be say about 30$-35$. :( 
miha2: If you can't wait and have about as i guess $700-800, get GTX 3xx video card and it'll be worth it.
This comment is just crazy funny.Good one miha2.
I understand you were trying to help him but it was just funny.

I know all about graphics cards. I have a 2 x 8800GTS 512MB in SLI with a 3GHz Intel quad Core and 4GHZ Ram. But why cant the manufactures release a very good card that will last at least 5 years.
Score
October 3, 2009 11:08:17 PM

I know all about graphics cards. I have a 2 x 8800GTS 512MB in SLI with a 3GHz Intel quad Core and 4GHZ Ram. But why cant the manufactures release a very good card that will last at least 5 years.
Score
October 3, 2009 11:09:23 PM

jennyh said:
It's not a personal insult when it's true.

Must be nice, to be you... All seeing, all knowing. Me, I can't even tell the time without a watch, let alone diagnose a video card's problems over a web-site. You, you just look at a post and determine that the poster has done something wrong, therefore is 'stupid'.
Score
October 3, 2009 11:26:52 PM

croc said:
Must be nice, to be you... All seeing, all knowing. Me, I can't even tell the time without a watch, let alone diagnose a video card's problems over a web-site. You, you just look at a post and determine that the poster has done something wrong, therefore is 'stupid'.

you dont need to be all seeing you just have to look at ur posts
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 11:29:14 PM

Quote:

No I determine whether somebody is stupid or not based on their words and/or actions.

I'm intrigued croc...how do you determine it?
Score
October 3, 2009 11:32:50 PM

rangers said:
you dont need to be all seeing you just have to look at ur posts

So what do my posts tell you, oh great one...
Score
October 3, 2009 11:37:03 PM

jennyh said:
Quote:

No I determine whether somebody is stupid or not based on their words and/or actions.

I'm intrigued croc...how do you determine it?

If the issue intrigues me, I'll try to ask a few relevant questions. If it only slightly interests me, I may just lurk. If the OP is an obvious fan of one company over another, I may leave a snarky post, or just ignore it, depending on my mood that day.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2009 12:11:11 AM

kudu said:
I know all about graphics cards.

kudu said:
But why cant the manufactures release a very good card that will last at least 5 years.

I sense contradiction (depending on your interpretation of "last at least 5 years").
Score
October 4, 2009 12:21:26 AM

kudu said:

And evidently nothing about RAM.
Score
October 4, 2009 12:38:09 AM

croc said:
So what do my posts tell you, oh great one...

they tell me ur a big rage'in nvidia fanboy
Score
October 4, 2009 12:43:59 AM

rangers said:
they tell me ur a big rage'in nvidia fanboy

...Your crystal ball fails. Maybe you need some remedial reading comprehension classes???
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2009 4:37:02 AM

the uber-dumb ati fanboy strikes again.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 4, 2009 5:07:26 AM

Quote:
...Uhh, personal insults could also fall into the 'stupid' category, fan-person.

I think we all could do better by listening to croc's advice. ALL of us. While a lively discussion/argument is fun, when is disintegrates into personal attacks it gets pretty boring.
Score
October 4, 2009 5:48:42 AM

EXT64 said:
Quote:

I think we all could do better by listening to croc's advice. ALL of us. While a lively discussion/argument is fun, when is disintegrates into personal attacks it gets pretty boring.

PLEASE do not try to set me up as an example... Jake Barnes and I went around a few times back in his day, and I am sure that Randomizer is somewhat balder because of some of my rants. Jennyh just caught me on a non-snarky day. One does try to be polite, however. Then along comes someone like...
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2009 6:04:11 AM

Ah yes, you and (the late?) habitat87 had a bit of fun in the Win 7 forum.
Score
October 4, 2009 7:50:25 AM

randomizer said:
Ah yes, you and (the late?) habitat87 had a bit of fun in the Win 7 forum.

I wasn't mentioning names.... and I have seen that poster around, but just not so much, and a bit calmer.

Looks bad for the Eels, BTW...
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 4, 2009 9:25:01 AM

jennyh said:

That's why this thread needs to be closed.

It's almost guaranteed when these A vs B threads start they will devolve into sy00pidity. :pfff: 

[:thegreatgrapeape:7]
!