Sign in with
Your question

How often do you use the end/home keys? (Poll works now)

Last response: in Components

How often do you use the home/end keys?

Total: 23 votes

• Don't even know what they do..
  • 5 %
  • Never.
  • 9 %
  • Once a year or so.
  • 5 %
  • A few times a month
  • 9 %
  • A few times a week
  • 18 %
  • Every day! How would I live without?
  • 57 %
November 9, 2009 3:18:10 AM

I just realized that some of my less-geeky friends don't even know what these keys do. How often do you guys use them?

I use them a lot when doing coding, but not for much else.

Another idea I had...what if there were a "center" key - a key that would take you to the center of a line of text. Useful?

Edit: Poll's broken I guess. Don't know what's up with it.
Edit2: After editing the poll and hitting submit a few times, it finally works..
November 9, 2009 3:29:02 AM

Nice poll....

Perhaps a few times a week, which isn't an option in your poll. Usually use them to get me close to where I made a misspelling mistake. Mouse is to far away, and I'm lazy as fcuk.
November 9, 2009 3:31:12 AM

Pretty rarely, honestly. I do often hold the control key so the arrow keys cause the cursor to jump 1 word at a time rather than just one character though.
November 9, 2009 3:37:50 AM

Yeah, I guess I fail at poll making, or Tom's fails at rendering them.

I just use them because using the mouse is slow. I guess I'm lazy, too.
November 9, 2009 5:46:13 AM

Like cjl i barely use them too :p 
November 9, 2009 6:53:05 AM

use them at work sometimes in combination with the 'Ctrl' key when working with Excel spreadsheets or Access database.

at home when gaming I sometimes map commands to these keys
November 9, 2009 11:10:34 AM

Constantly! I'm a keyboard user through and through and learnt most keyboard shortcuts from the age of about 10 as our mouse at the time was terrible! In fact, I've already used ctrl-home and ctrl-end in this post (after missing a capital letter at the beginning!)
November 9, 2009 12:55:03 PM

never....
November 9, 2009 3:06:03 PM

Poll's closed, so I'll vote here by saying: "Use them all the time". You'd have to pry them away from my cold, dead fingers... :D 
November 9, 2009 3:39:19 PM

From some of the comments I wonder if its "age" related. Seems that those of us who use them use them since the days before mice. That's the problem with you young whipper snappers, always forgetting where we came from. Why I remember back when....

LOL
November 9, 2009 4:01:01 PM

well, since i use the console in linux a lot, i use those keys to no end (very useful), even in GUI based editors they are nice to have so you don't break the flow of typing to reach for the mouse
November 9, 2009 4:22:16 PM

I always had a mouse available in my PC history, but I use the end/home keys a LOT, many times per session. I am keystroke obsessed, though, always looking for faster/less KS ways of doing things.
November 9, 2009 4:25:29 PM

Between MS Office, productivity apps, notepad, and general usage the Home and End keys are invaluable!

KB shortcuts in general make life easier. I hate having to remove my hands from the kb to move the mouse and click a field just so I can go back to keying again...seems like effectively coding tab stops is no longer a priority...and accessing toolbar menus using the ALT+letter has slipped as well...
November 9, 2009 4:46:47 PM

One key I think they should (re)move is the caps lock, I almost never use it and where it is just gets in the way.

Also, why do we get 3 LEDs, one for CapsLock, one for NumLock & one for ScrollLock, but not for Insert?
November 9, 2009 6:08:53 PM

I agree. The Caps Lock key is useless and should be replaced with something much more useful like Control or Alt. Also, the grave (`), forward slash (\), Pause/Break, Scroll Lock, and Windows flag keys are completely useless and should be replaced with something useful.
November 9, 2009 6:44:50 PM

I use caps lock all the time, and would never buy a keyboard without it.
November 9, 2009 6:55:17 PM

Isn't the '/' a forward slash and '\' is a backslash?
I do actually use the grave (`) quite often, but I understand that most people don't and it wouldn't bother me if something more useful took it's place.
I also have little use for the backslash (\) as it's only really used for DOS/Windows. I would still like to keep this but wouldn't mind if you had to press shift for it, so maybe swap it with colon (:) .
I have used Pause and Scroll Lock so I would keep them (if I had to choose just one it'd be the Pause), however I also hate the Windows key, especially keyboards that give you 2 of them.
Probably also swap the square brackets ([]) with the normal ones (()).

In fact there's not much left I wouldn't change lol (NB: I use a UK keyboard).
November 9, 2009 8:00:07 PM

I'm a spreadsheet jockey for a living, and shift/end/arrow, ctrl/end/arrow, Home, Ctrl/Home, and any number of other keyboard commands have long ago been ingrained into muscle memory. Enough so that I rarely have to think what keys I'm pressing.

Also, at one time I traveled for a living and my then-employer inflicted upon me an IBM lappy with the little nub instead of a mouse or touchpad. I can attest that being saddled with one of those is a VERY effective means of promoting the usage of keyboard shortcuts.
November 9, 2009 8:06:05 PM

Scotteq said:

Also, at one time I traveled for a living and my then-employer inflicted upon me an IBM lappy with the little nub instead of a mouse or touchpad. I can attest that being saddled with one of those is a VERY effective means of promoting the usage of keyboard shortcuts.

I love those things - I hate touchpads. But, the keyboard is even better.
November 9, 2009 8:43:59 PM

MU_Engineer said:
I agree. The Caps Lock key is useless and should be replaced with something much more useful like Control or Alt. Also, the grave (`), forward slash (\), Pause/Break, Scroll Lock, and Windows flag keys are completely useless and should be replaced with something useful.

I use the windows key and \ key all the time.
!