Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My new build.....

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 15, 2009 2:01:43 AM

I was buying the parts for a new computer when i lost my job, and
my friends and i put it together today.....
running with a
i7 920
nvidea 8800 gt
6 gigs ocz gold 1600 mhz ram
foxcon renaissance motherboard
450 wat powersuppply

and its all in this :) 




More about : build

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2009 2:06:15 AM

Why the milk crate? How are the temps with it in that thing? I imagine the cooling isnt too good. Do post the first time something falls in there, causes a short and blows the motherboard, more pictures then too please.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a c 93 V Motherboard
August 15, 2009 3:09:38 AM

I like it , so much I might even build one

amazing what you can do with enough cable ties
Related resources
August 15, 2009 3:45:08 AM

You do realize that an actual case would be better. After all, there isn't much of any air flow in that jerry rig box and there is no protection from things like water spills.

And it looks like you mounted the stock fan from the CPU. In my opinion, stock fans are a piece of crap, especially in a system with essentially no air flow.

But seriously, for the equipment that you are using you need better cooling and better protection.
August 15, 2009 3:48:03 AM

did no one read the first two sentences?, lost meh job so i'm moneyless for a while
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2009 3:55:14 AM

A 30 dollar case to protect 600 worth of hardware really isnt even a question in my mind. Sell the sound card as most motherboards have decent onboard sound, and buy a case to protect your investment. You may be tight on cash now but if you lose and entire i7 build just because you didnt sell something to get the case you will be even tighter.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2009 4:38:01 AM

You don't have a cat do you? Steal your neighbors screens and wrap the crate with that. Then its bug proof too.

I do like it though. A+ for MacGyverism. Well, maybe just an A, I don't see any duct tape.

On a real note, shouldn't that be grounded somehow? That's like building a PC and using plastic standoffs.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a c 93 V Motherboard
August 15, 2009 4:38:42 AM

threadweaver said:
You do realize that an actual case would be better. After all, there isn't much of any air flow in that jerry rig box and there is no protection from things like water spills.

And it looks like you mounted the stock fan from the CPU. In my opinion, stock fans are a piece of crap, especially in a system with essentially no air flow.

But seriously, for the equipment that you are using you need better cooling and better protection.



an actual case MIGHT be better . In an open space theres plenty of ventilation

and your stock fan comment is just weird . Intel and AMD give warranties on their cpu's so they are damn sure their stock coolers work fine and keep a cpu inside its operating temperature range . An aftermarket cooler might be quieter and it might cool better and compensate for overclocking , but the stock coolers are not "crap"

and nope I bet he doesnt need better cooling , since computer cases only need fans because they're enclosed boxes that would otherwise trap heat .

I like the OP's solution to getting his PC running . And he does have a good reason to cut a few corners
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a c 93 V Motherboard
August 15, 2009 4:40:35 AM

skora said:


I do like it though. A+ for MacGyverism. Well, maybe just an A, I don't see any duct tape.



Best post I have seen all day
+1
August 15, 2009 4:47:57 AM

im trying to be careful with it... should be ok, im also trying to figure out what the heck hunter thinks im going to be doing to this thing... Its not like im retarded enough to stack sutff on top of the crate, and its gonna be hiding some where that i cant stick my foot into it so.....
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2009 4:51:54 AM

The mere fact that you said "should" has now doomed you.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a c 93 V Motherboard
August 15, 2009 4:52:55 AM

if it was me I'd hammer some nails into the wall and slip the crate over so it just hangs there , up high and out of the way
August 15, 2009 5:04:51 AM

XD i might just, honestly not planning on keeping it like this for long
August 15, 2009 9:01:23 AM

gmaster130 said:
XD i might just, honestly not planning on keeping it like this for long


Well thats if you can find a new job... and if not I have some mesh you can use

oh and good luck lugging it to the lan tomorrow hehe
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2009 9:28:23 AM

home made antec skeleton way to go man
August 15, 2009 1:38:27 PM

Quote:
A 30 dollar case to protect 600 worth of hardware really isnt even a question in my mind. Sell the sound card as most motherboards have decent onboard sound, and buy a case to protect your investment. You may be tight on cash now but if you lose and entire i7 build just because you didnt sell something to get the case you will be even tighter.


By the looks of it it is not a discreet sound card but a raiser card for m/b sound because there is only optical and digital outputs on m/b, no analog output. Sp OP cannot sell it.

To OP:
Now put put some desk fan on the bottom of that milk crate.
August 16, 2009 7:47:28 PM

another friend has some spar stock case fans hes gonna let me use, planning on setting up some cardboard to help airflow and just mounting them in there, when we figure it out ill oist a few more pics of it XD
August 16, 2009 7:55:42 PM

i7 920 + 8800GT + 450w Dynex PSU. :o 
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2009 8:10:18 PM

AKM880 said:
i7 920 + 8800GT + 450w Dynex PSU. :o 

Losing ones means of income can force some bleak compromises. :( 
!