WHAT DOES VGA.SYS MEAN

Linda

MY COMPUTER CRASHED. I CAN GET IT UP TO REBBOOT THE
SYSTEM WITH THE FLOPPY DISC,6 OF THEM. WHEN I GET TO THE
4TH ONE,IT COMES UP,FAILED..."THE FILE VGA.SYS IS
CORRUPTED". WHAT IS THAT AND HOW DO I SOLVE IT,DOES
ANYONE KNOW?

Hi

Please turn Caps Lock off - it makes the messages very hard to read.

That error message means that 'vga.sys' can't be used so as to continue any further. Try re-building the 6 disks again. What problem have you got that needs using the 6 disks? The XP CD is bootable.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"LINDA" <cherokee_lady1947@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:41ab01c47300$5c874660$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> MY COMPUTER CRASHED. I CAN GET IT UP TO REBBOOT THE
> SYSTEM WITH THE FLOPPY DISC,6 OF THEM. WHEN I GET TO THE
> 4TH ONE,IT COMES UP,FAILED..."THE FILE VGA.SYS IS
> CORRUPTED". WHAT IS THAT AND HOW DO I SOLVE IT,DOES
> ANYONE KNOW?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The six floppies are needed because she doesn't have a CD ROM would be my
guess.

Hi

Please turn Caps Lock off - it makes the messages very hard to read.

That error message means that 'vga.sys' can't be used so as to continue any
further. Try re-building the 6 disks again. What problem have you got that
needs using the 6 disks? The XP CD is bootable.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"LINDA" <cherokee_lady1947@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> MY COMPUTER CRASHED. I CAN GET IT UP TO REBBOOT THE
> SYSTEM WITH THE FLOPPY DISC,6 OF THEM. WHEN I GET TO THE
> 4TH ONE,IT COMES UP,FAILED..."THE FILE VGA.SYS IS
> CORRUPTED". WHAT IS THAT AND HOW DO I SOLVE IT,DOES
> ANYONE KNOW?

Linda

me to do. to make 6 floppy discs and I did make them. But
like I said,the first three fine,but fourth it comes up
vga.sys file corrupted. okay Will you said to redo the
discs. Does this mean that the fourth disc is corrupted?
also what cd are you talking about that works for
rebooting. My pc crashed,nothing will come up except the
name of my pc and then it comes up on screen "updating
ESCD....success,then verifying DMI Pool Data....Boot from
ATAPI CD_Rom...Insert system Disc. So what is it I
should do? Thanks in advance!

"LINDA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >I do have cd rom and I was going by what microsoft told
> me to do. to make 6 floppy discs and I did make them. But
> like I said,the first three fine,but fourth it comes up
> vga.sys file corrupted. okay Will you said to redo the
> discs. Does this mean that the fourth disc is corrupted?
> also what cd are you talking about that works for
> rebooting. My pc crashed,nothing will come up except the
> name of my pc and then it comes up on screen "updating
> ESCD....success,then verifying DMI Pool Data....Boot from
> ATAPI CD_Rom...Insert system Disc. So what is it I
> should do? Thanks in advance!

You should have gotten some sort of way to restore the computer, either a
"real" windows CD, some sort of repair or recovery CD, or a hidden partition
on the hard drive. Which one you got depends on who the manufacturer of the
computer is.

Or, if you built it yourself or upgraded to XP, you'd have a Windows CD.

The Windows CDs and the recovery cds are bootable, so if that's in the drive
when you start the computer, you'd get a message to hit any key to boot from
CD. Where you go from there depends on what kind of CD you're working from.
If you have a recovery CD, your only choice may be to start over fresh,
which means you'd lose any data you've got on the computer that you haven't
backed up.

However, your problem may be more than that. It sounds like the computer's
not seeing the hard drive, which is why it's trying to boot from CD, in
which case you've got hardware issues and not software ones.