Sign in with
Your question

Gaming/general use, 600$ budget.

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2009 3:59:10 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next week.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: any

PARTS PREFERENCES: amd

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900, I will probably upgrade this next.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have a 9800gt and a Thermaltake TR-2 500w psu and I wondered if both of these I could use in this system or if I should buy a new GPU and PSU? Any changes I should make?

CASE : Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOTHERBOARD : GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

MEMORY : OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK - Retail

combo : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

CPU : AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail

PSU : Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE ... - Retail

combo : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

At 400 right now, if you see spots where I could save money and possibly lose something I don't need for my usage all the better.
August 15, 2009 4:18:01 AM

Well, do you need this next week for sure? Here's how I'm thinking this out. At 1440x900, the 9800GT should be performing north of adaquate. Do you have games now that you can't run on high? If you can wait, the P55 platform will be out in a month. It will also support SLI. So if you can save money by using your current GPU and PSU, then when you have the money to get a monitor/PSU/ and either a second 9800GT or replace the first one. The early hints say the i5s will be great quad core CPUs. Pricing hasn't been disclosed yet, but if intel goes head to head with AMD in their price brackets, you could get more for your money. Also, AMD will probably respond with price cuts of their own at that time.
Related resources
August 15, 2009 4:36:50 AM

Well, my computer's been freezing lately running games. 9800 is running a little hot, about 65-70C and black screen. Motherboard only supports 1x PCI-E (bought it a while ago, prebuilt) so I assume that's why I can't run games on high. What do you think I should upgrade in the meantime?
August 15, 2009 4:39:53 AM

Tell us how that 9800GT is performing at 1440x900?
August 15, 2009 4:43:03 AM

shubham1401 said:
Tell us how that 9800GT is performing at 1440x900?

Can't play any games for an extended period without crashes.
August 15, 2009 4:48:28 AM

Your temps are fine. Mid to upper 70s I get cautious, but don't take action to reduce the temps until I'm in the 80s.

What's the prebuilt model number?
August 15, 2009 5:21:01 AM

If you're that slow on the CPU, thats going to kill modern gaming. If you're trying to do this for as little as possible, I'd phase this. The mobo, ram, and CPU definately have to be replaced. If you cant wait till the i5s hit, then batuchka has a good start there. The AMD 770 board ($85) is a solid choice for a single GPU and unless you're going backwards to Core 2, you don't have an option for SLI right now. Make sure to get a DDR3 board and then of course, DDR3 ram ($85) for it. Get at least the x3 ($120) like shown above. Reuse everything else, except the HDD should be replaced also. This is a performance favorite around here for $75.

How do you feel about reusing your case? That can save some cash. Also, the optical drive can probably be salvaged as long as the board you get has the IDE connector on it. Most all do still I think, but the FDD has fallen off a number of boards already.

Since the thermaltake hasn't blown up on you yet, I'd say its okay for a single GPU rig, which makes it good for now.

That still keeps you under $400. If you need a case and PSU, that will put you around $500 and then if the GPU does need to be replaced, that can be done with whats left. The 4870 1gb cards are a steal right now.
August 15, 2009 5:32:12 AM

skora said:
If you're that slow on the CPU, thats going to kill modern gaming. If you're trying to do this for as little as possible, I'd phase this. The mobo, ram, and CPU definately have to be replaced. If you cant wait till the i5s hit, then batuchka has a good start there. The AMD 770 board ($85) is a solid choice for a single GPU and unless you're going backwards to Core 2, you don't have an option for SLI right now. Make sure to get a DDR3 board and then of course, DDR3 ram ($85) for it. Get at least the x3 ($120) like shown above. Reuse everything else, except the HDD should be replaced also. This is a performance favorite around here for $75.

How do you feel about reusing your case? That can save some cash. Also, the optical drive can probably be salvaged as long as the board you get has the IDE connector on it. Most all do still I think, but the FDD has fallen off a number of boards already.

Since the thermaltake hasn't blown up on you yet, I'd say its okay for a single GPU rig, which makes it good for now.

That still keeps you under $400. If you need a case and PSU, that will put you around $500 and then if the GPU does need to be replaced, that can be done with whats left. The 4870 1gb cards are a steal right now.

Great, thanks a lot. I'm worried I would run into the same problems(black screens, etc) on a new motherboard and CPU using the same power supply and video card. Probably just being paranoid. I could use the same case but I don't think it gets very good airflow.
August 15, 2009 5:35:36 AM

That's what a drill is for :p 
!