Can I install two graphics cards?

rah7puva

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Hi - I'm considering buying either the HP e9110 or the e6127 but I was wondering if you can install two graphics cards to either of these machines.

I will be doing 3D renderings but $$$$ is tight so I'm trying to spend more on the graphics cards themselves. Please help! Thx!

Neither the HP E9110 or the E6127 supports either crossfire or SLI, so no you won't be able to use 2 graphic cards in those systems. A 2 GPU solution like the 4870x2 could be done, if there's room and heat issues could be taken care of.

rah7puva

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I could build everything myself.....but because of my low budget, I'm not sure I can build one cheaper than the cost optimized machines HP or Dell produces....

I'm not sure how much research you have done on the software but it is critical you do so to determine the most efficient way to spend your money.

Building your own setup may not be less expensive than buying a pre-built but it has the advantage that you can tailor it exactly to your needs and expand it when they grow, if you select the right components.
If you can hold off for a month or so I would advise you to do so, ATI will release their new graphics cards and Intel the I5 processor fairly soon and both releases are likely to drive the prices of current hardware down, or increase your options.

rah7puva

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Ok. I'll wait. But should I consider building a single processor with a asus Z8NA-DC6 motherboard? That way I can upgrade another processor later if I need to.

Most of my work will be in 3d Max, Maya, After Effects cs3/4, and Premiere.