Sign in with
Your question

Did my video card die? Or was it something else?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 4, 2009 4:26:21 PM

Just last night, I was using my desktop (you can see the specs below). Everything was working perfectly. This morning when I tried to turn it on, I simply could not get anything to come up on the screen. :??:  On my LCD, it kept saying that there was no signal from the computer. I checked to see if any cables had somehow gotten disconnected (everything was connected properly). Just to be sure, I disconnected all the cables and reconnected everything. Still no luck. What could possibly be causing this problem? If the video card was fried, wouldn't the image on the screen be distorted (it clearly displayed the "No Signal" image)? I'm really lost on this one. Did any of you ever encounter a similar issue?

More about : video card die

September 4, 2009 8:04:32 PM

It sounds like your video card probably went kaput. The only way to tell for sure would be to get a different one and try it.

Make sure your monitor is looking for the signal on the right port (digital/analog, if applicable) and try removing and reseating the video card itself. You could also try a different cable just to be sure, though the cable being bad is unlikely.
a c 102 U Graphics card
September 4, 2009 8:10:34 PM

Yea it most likely is the gpu but it is possible that its something else I would try throwing the card into another pc to see if that works and if not then try a different card in this pc and if that works then it is for sure the current gpu u have in this pc
Related resources
September 4, 2009 8:15:50 PM

spinny said:
It sounds like your video card probably went kaput. The only way to tell for sure would be to get a different one and try it.

Make sure your monitor is looking for the signal on the right port (digital/analog, if applicable) and try removing and reseating the video card itself. You could also try a different cable just to be sure, though the cable being bad is unlikely.

Yes, I already made sure that the monitor was looking for the signal on the right port. I'll try to reset the video card and see if that does anything. When I opened up the case (while the computer was turned on), the fan on the video card was running. Is it possible for the gpu to fail but for the fan to keep on going?
September 4, 2009 8:22:09 PM

apparently it is possible :D  .
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2009 8:27:09 PM

"No video signal " means the computer is broken. You just cannot assume that it's the GPU. It might be. And might not.

A dead PSU or motherboard would give the same symptom. Although unlikely, so would a dead CPU.

Boot problems
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
a c 106 U Graphics card
September 4, 2009 9:28:04 PM

Does the compute beep? If it gives you a beep code then you can use that to figure out what's wrong. If you don't get a beep code it could be the PSU or the motherboard.
September 4, 2009 10:24:20 PM

megamanx00 said:
Does the compute beep? If it gives you a beep code then you can use that to figure out what's wrong. If you don't get a beep code it could be the PSU or the motherboard.

YES!!! There was some sort of strange beep coming from the computer when I was starting up. What could it possibly be?
September 5, 2009 1:31:17 AM

depends on the pattern...
September 5, 2009 1:36:16 AM

imrul said:
depends on the pattern...

Where can I find out what the signal/beep means?
September 5, 2009 1:52:00 PM

Where can I possibly find out what the beep means? Does the beeping sound vary by motherboard?
September 6, 2009 9:32:46 PM

varies by motherboard vendor...
September 6, 2009 11:59:12 PM

imrul said:
varies by motherboard vendor...

No krap :heink:  I'm asking WHERE I can possibly find out what the signal means. You might as well not bother responding if you are going to reply with useless 4 word answers. I need DETAILS!
!