Phenom II X3 740 on MSI 770-G45

kaze_

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Cheers!

I've been sitting on this particular cpu and motherboard for about a year now and decided that hey, I've recently wanted to get into video game streaming but quad cores are just so much better than triple cores. Then I realized oh yeah, the 740 can, in some situations, be unlocked to a quad core!

So...how do I go about doing that properly? I've tried enabling ACC and Enable Core Unlock in BIOS but when I do that, the machine refuses to post until I clear the cmos. Now it is completley possible that it is refusing to work just because the fourth core is unstable, but from everything that I've read, an unstable fourth core should not make a computer just straight up not boot, so I thought maybe I could be screwing something up.

I would be immensely grateful for any advice in regards to this chip/motherboard combination, and it should be noted that I do have a bit of experience with voltage tweaking and multiplier adjusting, so you're not talking to a complete noob.

Thanks!

kaze_

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

Shame shibang, computer refuses to post :<

Still thinking I'm screwing up somewhere >.<

kaze_

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

I actually bumped it up by more than that. Is there a possibility off somehow over-volting and creating an instability in the chip? When I have it overclocked I have it at 3.8ghz at 1.41v or so with an aftermarket cooler.

kaze_

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

I have been. Everytime I try I reset the bios to optimized defaults. Are there actually any differences between resetting to optimized results and resetting to fail-safe results?

kaze_

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

It has physical switches for overclocking...let me pull up a diagram of the board and take a second look.

Edit: Nothing that I saw for physical unlocking switches. I wonder if I'm just really screwed or what.

kaze_

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

Oh yeah it's np and it was worth a shot, I was just confused by the symptoms. Usually, from what I've read, the core will unlock but it will fail stability tests. Nothing like forcing the board to just not post.

Oh well, thanks for your help buddy. :D

Edit: Not gonna name a "best answer" yet because somebody else might come along with some pertinent information heh.

kaze_

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Well I actually just got it to boot with ACC turned on at +/-0% all cores, core unlock enabled, and core control set to manual with a voltage jump of 1.41v, but it is not showing a fourth core.

Guess it's just faulty D: