Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte MA790FXTA and windows 7 new install on Raid 0

Last response: in Motherboards
February 5, 2010 2:32:55 PM

GM gentlemen,

I’m trying to do a new install of windows 7 64bit on a Raid 0 setup.

I connected the two 1GB drives to ports 6 and 7 and the bios shows me that they are connected to ports 4 & 5. I went ahead and followed the MOBO manual and enabled Raid and USE AS SATA in bios for ports 4 & 5 and then went into GSATA and did a virtual drive and the setup worked ok. This way seems to bypass having to setup the Array after reboot. I tried it and it did not work where you would hit “CTL F” and choose 1 to 4.

Only button 4 responds. Anyway I’m not sure if this is the right way to do this with this new MOBO.

I move on to installing windows 7 and I had previously downloaded Windows 7 version of Raid driver and SATA3 driver from Gigabyte and stored them on a floppy.
After reboot windows setup starts from a DVD and goes thru language select and so on then it asks for the “drivers” so I tell it to go to the floppy but it can’t find any.

I do not know where to go from here.

Your help is appreciated!
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 5, 2010 5:06:40 PM

Try here:
mailto:D ocfeedback@marvell.com
Marvell, like AMD and nVidia, appears to believe that documentation is evil...
m
l
March 17, 2011 2:02:23 AM

chou560 said:
GM gentlemen,

I connected the two 1GB drives to ports 6 and 7 and the bios shows me that they are connected to ports 4 & 5. I went ahead and followed the MOBO manual and enabled Raid and USE AS SATA in bios for ports 4 & 5 and then went into GSATA and did a virtual drive and the setup worked ok. This way seems to bypass having to setup the Array after reboot. I tried it and it did not work where you would hit “CTL F” and choose 1 to 4.

Only button 4 responds. Anyway I’m not sure if this is the right way to do this with this new MOBO.

I move on to installing windows 7 and I had previously downloaded Windows 7 version of Raid driver and SATA3 driver from Gigabyte and stored them on a floppy.
After reboot windows setup starts from a DVD and goes thru language select and so on then it asks for the “drivers” so I tell it to go to the floppy but it can’t find any.

I am having the same problem....

Every time I try to setup Raid I get to the point where you push "Ctrl+F" and only pressing 4 gets a response. I am unable to set up an array. Any ideas on how to fix this?
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2011 3:40:09 PM

chou560 said:
GM gentlemen,

Chou - There are several of us with the same problem on different mobo. I submitted a request for assistance to Gigabyte and received this response this morning:

Dear Customer,

Which sata controller you are using to setup raid? (tried both)
The AMD one or the Gsata one, ( blue ports or white port ) (tried both)
From there make sure that the correct driver were used. (Which is ??)

They didn't bother to read my inputs that gave the information they addressed. The issue is "unsigned" drivers provided by Gigabyte and their suppliers. Hopefully someone will provide a usable driver soon. Good luck,

Howard
m
l
a c 169 V Motherboard
March 19, 2011 2:39:44 AM

Each time I have set up RAID0, the driver loads perfect from the driver disk that came with the board. Then you can load win7.

m
l
March 19, 2011 5:35:05 PM

spooky2th said:
Each time I have set up RAID0, the driver loads perfect from the driver disk that came with the board. Then you can load win7.

Thanks Spooky - I am trying to acquire a new disk with the drivers. I (thought) put everything from my build into one ziplock and when I needed the disk it was not there. I suspect I sent it back with a returned item. I'm encourage to hear the on-disk drivers work.

Howard
m
l
March 20, 2011 5:37:57 PM

I used this driver, raid_bootdisk_win7-x64, downloaded from the Gigabyte support page (I didn't note which mobo it was for). I also held down F8 while it was loading during the OS installation. One additional thought - I had to take my first HDD out of circuit during the installation. Howard
m
l
a c 169 V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 11:10:29 PM

That doesn't seem right. RAID0 should load the OS on 2 disks. The correct driver should be at your board's web page at Gigabyte's web site. Set your bios up and load the correct RAID0 driver and then load the OS onto the RAIDO disks. Then install the board's normal drivers. It would probably be a lot simpler if you had the board driver disk. I load everything from the disk then update the drivers from Gigabyte's web site.
m
l
March 21, 2011 1:24:48 AM

spooky2th said:
That doesn't seem right. RAID0 should load the OS on 2 disks. The correct driver should be at your board's web page at Gigabyte's web site. Set your bios up and load the correct RAID0 driver and then load the OS onto the RAIDO disks. Then install the board's normal drivers. It would probably be a lot simpler if you had the board driver disk. I load everything from the disk then update the drivers from Gigabyte's web site.

Spooky - I may have been confusing with my last post. I started with a single 5400 rpm drive and wanted to reset to a raid 0 using two 7200 drives as my primary storage and the 5400 as a backup storage. The raid pair could not be seen as long as the 5400 drive was connected. When I removed it the installation went as advertised. I now have two 1tb drives configured as a raid 0 and a single 2tb drive as a backup.

My load sequence was to set the bios, configure the raid, and load the OS. During the OS load Win7 asked for the raid driver which I had on a thumbdrive. It loaded when I selected the desired driver and held F8. Right/Wrong - it worked for me and I have quit looking.

Howard
m
l
a c 169 V Motherboard
March 21, 2011 3:52:48 AM

HowardH said:
Right/Wrong - it worked for me and I have quit looking.

Howard

Yup, I misunderstood. Glad it worked for ya!
m
l
!