I never shut down my computer is these ok??????

silent rock 23336

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
i never shut down my computer is these ok??????

because i let it open i usally download every day 10 gb so with my speed i have let my pc open

if these have some risk tell me and thanks for replay

shubham1401

Distinguished
There are some minor problems regarding the matter.
1.As stated Electricity bill would be higher.
2.The components like fans and hard disks which have spinning mechanism will die out faster.
3.Keep a watch on temps.
4.If you are on a generic PSU then there is a RISK.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I have three systems that I keep up 24/7 (browser, server, HTPC). Over the past year, I can say I've had 99% up time. Aside from the electric bill (and quite frankly, the air conditioner costs me more in electricity than all three systems combined) I've had no problems.

-Wolf sends

Time old question - Which is better. Both have adv/disav.

On 24/7
As stated Higher electric bill, and not just from computer as it will also increase a/c (slightly). Also as stated Fans and increased dust inside case. HDD's tost-up, but probably would decrease life - But then pwr-up/dwn is also hard on HDDs.

Powering down
Two disavantages come to mind - One waiting for the thing to boot and (2) pwr-on is one of the biggest stress placed on electronics and is when most die. Primary reason is the high inrush current which can be 3 -> 5 times higher than nominal current.

Myself I alway power off at night and normally power on when I get home from work.
Wife, she normally leaves hers on - No diff in failure rate.

At work, computers are normally on 24/7 as updates are normally applied at night (Most of our our work computers are laptops). But when desktops were still common, I notice no difference in "Life span"

silent rock 23336

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009

thanks man for sharing with me and replay

things i noticed when i leave it one
1-the programe start slow
2-when i setup some thing take long than normal with my commp
3-the usage of ram also increase i don't know the reason
4-my bill come up high because i have to open a\c beacause my room is such hot and so to prevent over heat

How about a compromise? Use sleep with the S3 sleep state.
That puts the PC and monitor into a low power state, but keeps the contents in ram. When you activate the keyboard, your last status appears within seconds.

If you needed to preserve the contents of ram, then you could use hibernate which writes out the ram contents first. That takes a bit longer.

The ram usage increases because very few things actually give up all of the ram they had been using, i notice that the ram usage increases after a couple of hours on my laptop, but it increases a bit and then stays at that level at idle, it doesnt increase till it maxes stuff out, just a little bit

If you defrag once in a while you should get around the programs starting slow issue. Aside from hard drive and power supply wear it shouldnt cause you any issues unless you are still running it in 10 years, im sure there are some very long term effects but nothing that shows in a few years atleast.