Upgrading Old Socket N / 478

I have a friends desktop he inherited and it has a "blazingly" fast 1.5 GHz Processor at 400FSB. He definitely is NOT a power user and wants to upgrade the processor and RAM (1GB / PC133) if not too outrageous. How fast a processor will fit into the Socket N / 478 400FSB board. Oh, by the way - it's a Dell Optiplex 240.

Any ways to overclock these processors, as Dell is / was so proprietary in their BIOS and such that you had no control over overclocking.
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrading socket
  1. To be honest you will be lucky to find anyone that has an old socket 478 CPU to sell - even used ones are hard to find these days.
  2. Best you could probably find is a 2-3GHz P4. And old RAM is expensive unless you find some on eBay or Craigslist... depending on budget it might be better to start with a newer motherboard or barebones system.
  3. tlswift said:
    I have a friends desktop he inherited and it has a "blazingly" fast 1.5 GHz Processor at 400FSB. He definitely is NOT a power user and wants to upgrade the processor and RAM (1GB / PC133) if not too outrageous. How fast a processor will fit into the Socket N / 478 400FSB board. Oh, by the way - it's a Dell Optiplex 240.

Any ways to overclock these processors, as Dell is / was so proprietary in their BIOS and such that you had no control over overclocking.

I betcha the fastest CPU that will work in there is a 2.0 GHz P4 Willamette. Since the unit uses PC133, it is one of the first P4 boards and many of them don't take 400 FSB Northwoods, particularly OEM units like your Dell. I'd get a cheap new unit if I were your buddy.
  4. System specs @ http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx240/en/ug/specs.htm#1106346

Fastest CPU on a 400FSB 512K L2 is a 3GHz Northwood, but they are rare, so you should look for a 2.6GHz or 2.8Ghz.
  5. tlswift said:

Taken from: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx240/en/ug/specs.htm#1112435
    Quote:
    Microprocessor

Microprocessor type

Intel® Pentium® 4 microprocessor. Design provides for future Dell-supported upgrades. A slower compatibility speed can be set through system setup

Level 1 (L1) cache

8-kilobyte (KB)

Level 2 (L2) cache

1.5–2.0* GHz processors: 256-KB pipelined-burst, eight-way set-associative, write-back static random-access memory (SRAM)

2.2–2.6 GHz processors: 512-KB SRAM

Math coprocessor

internal to microprocessor

Memory

Architecture

133-megahertz (MHz) synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM)

Dual in-line memory module (DIMM) sockets

two error-checking and correction (ECC) and non-ECC

DIMM capacities

64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-megabyte (MB)

Minimum random-access memory (RAM)

64 MB (128 MB when running Windows 2000 or Windows XP)

Maximum RAM

1 GB

Basic input/output system (BIOS) address

F8000h

Computer Information

Computer chip set

Intel 845

Data bus width

64 bits

Address bus width

32 bits

Direct memory access (DMA) channels

four

Interrupts

Computer BIOS

Desktop Management Interface (DMI) 2.0s- and system management BIOS 2.3-compliant BIOS in 4-megabit (Mb) flash chip

System bus speed

100 megahertz (MHz) clock, 400 MHz data rate

Network interface controller

integrated 3C920-based 10/100 3Com® Ethernet controller

I've placed the important information in bold.

Intel Pentium IV Northwood (400MHz FSB/512KB L2 Cache) Processors are the highest the system will support.

RAM wise the highest is 1GB (which your friend has already).
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Processors Socket