Sign in with
Your question

How's 4 dimms work in x58 boards?

Last response: in Memory
February 5, 2010 7:15:30 PM

Hey. Been windowsshopping for an upgrade, and stumbled upon a configuration of "4 dimms in 3-channel mode" in serveral motherboard manuals (gigabyte). How's that work ? I know oems like hp have support for what they call asymetric dualchannel where you have 2 dimms of one size and one of twice the size .... but since there's no 6gb dimms being made that can't be the trick this time around?

More about : dimms work x58 boards

February 9, 2010 3:30:04 PM

neiroatopelcc said:
Hey. Been windowsshopping for an upgrade, and stumbled upon a configuration of "4 dimms in 3-channel mode" in serveral motherboard manuals (gigabyte). How's that work ? I know oems like hp have support for what they call asymetric dualchannel where you have 2 dimms of one size and one of twice the size .... but since there's no 6gb dimms being made that can't be the trick this time around?

I've been wondering the same thing myself. If I understand correctly, it seems that HP is sacrificing triple-channel mode in exchange for more memory. If I understand correctly...
February 9, 2010 6:50:58 PM

Yep...that's the way it is. The OEMs are sacrificing triple-channel mode in exchange for more memory. If you look again, I don't think you'll see 3-channel memory listed as a feature.
Related resources
February 24, 2010 6:47:49 PM

I've bought a GA-EX58-UD5 board now - and in the manual it actually sais 4 dims in 3 channel mode and where to put them ..... but it doesn't say how it works.....
February 25, 2010 2:33:16 PM

Quad channel? lol
March 11, 2010 8:01:33 AM

no it's stated under 3 channel mode!

From page 16 of the manual ( http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_D... ) :

3 Channel--
1. 3 Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one or two DDR3 memory modules are installed.
2. When enabling 3 Channel mode with three, four or six modules, it is recommended that memory
of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.
When enabling 3 Channel mode with three memory modules, be sure to install them in the
DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets.
When enabling 3 Channel mode with four memory modules, be sure to install them in the
DDR3_1, DDR3_2, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets.
!