something like cron on Windows?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,comp.lang.php (More info?)

I have Windows XP professional. Is there ANYTHING reliable on Windows
that is like cron on UNIX that will allow you run something at regular
intervals, for example, like every 10 minutes?

I would like to change a (static/.html) web page every 10 minutes using
PHP, is there a way to do this? I have an Apache/PHP/MySql also, so
maybe theres a way to do it through these programs. Has any one done
this before? How?

AT will not do what I want, and SCHTASKS has a lot of bugs, and will not
allow me to run a program in the background.

-d
3 answers Last reply
More about something cron windows
  1. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,comp.lang.php (More info?)

    "Doug" <dougd99@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > I have Windows XP professional. Is there ANYTHING reliable on Windows
    > that is like cron on UNIX that will allow you run something at regular
    > intervals, for example, like every 10 minutes?
    >
    > I would like to change a (static/.html) web page every 10 minutes using
    > PHP, is there a way to do this? I have an Apache/PHP/MySql also, so
    > maybe theres a way to do it through these programs. Has any one done
    > this before? How?

    I'm assuming this is for a web site? The only 'frig' I've ever used when I
    haven't had access to something like cron is to use some code on a page that
    checks for the time and then runs some code if it's appropriate.

    The only 'gotcha' is that you have to be running a site that has enough
    visitors to do this.

    Have you seen this? I just found it by doing a seach on Google for con
    windows:

    http://www.kalab.com/freeware/cron/cron.htm

    Hope this helps

    Andy
  2. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,comp.lang.php (More info?)

    Doug <dougd99@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<sO6Nc.14599$f4.7471@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
    > I have Windows XP professional. Is there ANYTHING reliable on Windows
    > that is like cron on UNIX that will allow you run something at regular
    > intervals, for example, like every 10 minutes?

    Take a look at nnCron LITE ( http://www.nncron.ru ):

    -----
    nnCron LITE is a small, but full-featured scheduler that can start
    applications and open documents at a specified time or with specified
    frequency. nnCron LITE is a perfect freeware Windows clone of a
    well-known UNIX scheduler Cron (including all the useful Anacron
    features).

    Here are the most important features of nnCron LITE:
    it can be started as a system service or as a regular standalone
    application
    it understands cron table format (Unix) and is managed with
    easy-to-edit text crontab files that are fully compatible with Unix
    crontabs
    it can handle and restart so called missed tasks
    it can set and use environment variables
    it can run applications authorized as currently logged user
    (WinNT/2000/XP)
    it can be extended with plugins written in Forth language
    it can be easy tuned up to answer your current needs
    it is not resource demanding, and it can run even on very older PCs
    without any noticeable performance degradation. (We have never seen
    nnCron LITE service to allocate more than 150k of operative memory.)

    nnCron LITE is FREE!
    -----

    HTH!

    Look at VisualCron => http://www.visualcron.com. It has more features