Power Supply starts/stops 2x's... then runs...

mgoblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
I just switched my Pwr Supply from an Antec 500W to a Coolmax CTI-600B... no other changes.

When I turn the PC on the power unit starts for 2 sec, then shuts down, it starts for another 2 sec, then shuts down, then it powers up and works fine.

What is causing this “stutter start up”? My previous power supply did not have this problem. Components in my system are…

- MSI P35 Neo motherboard
- Intel E7300 Core 2 Duo CPU [2.66GHz]
- 8 GB of DDR2 Ram 800Hz
- NVIDIA 8600 GT Video Card 256 MB Ram
- 2 Hard drives… 320 GB and 500 GB
- CD R/RW drive
- DVD R/RW drive
- Floppy drive
- Multi Flash Reader

I'm running Windows Vista Business 64 bit as the operating system.

Any insight you can give me about this issue, and how to fix it, will be appreciated.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
To me it sounds as though the new power supply is faulty, I would stop using that one right away as it could damage other components with its startup stutter. Stick the old power supply back in to verify that it still powers up normally, and if so I would return the coolmax for a new one. If you can afford it I would get a better quality PSU as well like PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, Corsair, Antec Earthwatts...

Why did you switch from a 500W antec? I would suggest returning the Coolmax, for a PSU to get bad ratings on newegg it really must be bad, it also only provides 450 watts of 12 volt power which isnt much. This is the one you have right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159084

Even the antec basiq provides almost that much power, the main thing you did get from your change however was a brand that doesnt make consistently good PSUs, i would suggest returning that thing ASAP.