Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp core i7

Last response: in Windows XP
January 22, 2012 4:56:27 PM

Hello,
I have an Asus Zenbook with Core i7 and install Windows XP Pro as a 2nd OS (becaue VB6 will NOT run under Windows 7) and it works OK, but when running Windows XP, the fan just keeps running nad it greatly diminishes battery life, does anybody know how to fix this?

More about : windows core

January 22, 2012 7:42:44 PM

You may need to reset the Smart Fan Speed setting in the BIOS for Windows XP, you obviously already have it set for Windows 7 but it may take a reset before loging into Windows XP to work during XP sessions. Enter the BIOS, Advanced Settings \ Smart Fan Config \ CPU Smart Fan \ Enabled (this is in Amibios and some words may be different in your System). Change the setting to Disabled, Accept, then change it back to Enabled, and Accept. Next exit the BIOS, saving the changes... and immediately logon to Windows XP.

I had to do this on other BIOS settings such as the numlock because it only worked on one of the dual boot Installations... so It seems that some BIOS settings have to be set individually (confirmed/reset) for each OS.
m
l
January 31, 2012 11:13:37 PM

I tried that but there were no such or similar settings in the BIOS, not under any advanced settings either.

perhaps I should try a bios update from Asus?

I notice in Windows XP 'device manager' there are no CPU drivers, they show as generic.
Are there any Intel corei7 drivers for XP out there?
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2012 3:01:33 AM

Your Notebook seems to be of fairly recent manufacture so I doubt a BIOS update can make a big difference... what you need to do is install a system information application to know the motherboard model so you can find a PDF motherborar or BIOS manual in the Asus website, which may include the BIOS settings information. The fan auto speed settings are common on portable computers so that information shouldn't be hard to find.

Try Slim Drivers to update the processor drivers.. if any are out there, this application should find them. After you update your drivers, uninstall this application or configure it to stop it from auto-running, searching for updates, auto scans, etc... these are the only inconveniences (if you can call it that) this application has, it causes no other issues this type of applications are said to cause... I've never experienced any issues with any driver scanner/updater but some people seem to have experienced them... so to prevent any such problems, remove it or disable the application auto settings.

http://www.driverupdate.net/
m
l
February 1, 2012 2:42:32 PM

The issue is probably between XP power management and the new laptop. Does it have XP drivers from the vendor? If it does, install the power management drivers.
m
l
April 16, 2012 2:47:09 AM

levisvv said:
Hello,
I have an Asus Zenbook with Core i7 and install Windows XP Pro as a 2nd OS (becaue VB6 will NOT run under Windows 7) and it works OK, but when running Windows XP, the fan just keeps running nad it greatly diminishes battery life, does anybody know how to fix this?

Hi, Levisvv

I have an Asus Zenbook as well, with core i5 and i installed Win XP pro on it (due to compatibility issues with some devices that im working with). My question is Where did you find the required drivers??
I have searched online for quite a while, but seems like there are only drivers for win7 for zenbook.
m
l
!