Which processor to go for?

zasch

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Hi,
I'm thinking of upgrading my computer after 7 long years! Currently I have a P4 1.GHz. My comp is too slow and I get fed up of it. So finally I have decided to go for an upgrade!

But the problem is I'm finding it hard to decide on the configuration. I'm not good at understanding technicalities of processors and all that. So what should I go for, a core 2 duo or a core 2 quad?

From this forum and else where on the internet, I have learned that quad core suits best if you play a lotta games etc etc.. I'm not a game freak and I dunno I would play games too much on my comp in the future. But i'd work on heavy applications such as photoshop, visual studio and stuff like that. So should I go for core 2 duo?

If I upgrade my system now, then i'd not want to change it again for a long time! (may be for 5-7 years at least!). And the cost should be moderate. So can any of you please suggest me what is best, which one I should go for? And the appropriate Motherboard for it.
Thank you! :)
z

Solution
Hi,
It really does depend on your budget, but consider this... The LGA775 socket that the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad chips use is at its end of life. If you purchase a 775 motherboard and want to upgrade your processor in a few years, there will be nothing faster than there is now.. and it'll be scarcer and more expensive too.
If you can afford an i7 or i5 system, by all means go for that. Both are new platforms with years of life in them, and good performance too. If you can't afford the i5, AMD has some very good alternatives... and the AM3 socket used now will have processors made for it for some time.
I recommend heading over to the New System Build forum ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31-322.html ) and checking out...

ulysses35

Distinguished
Depending on your budget, as this will make a big difference.

Money no object Intel i7 920 or slightly cheaper are the i5's - also from Intel

There are some great CPU's from AMD at the moment, but without really knowing how much you want to spend and what you want to do with your pc it is quite hard to make a reasonable recommendation

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
1. Core 2 Duo and Core2Q are not your only two options, they're old too. You could also go for a Phenom II, Core i5 or Core i7.

2. You have it backwards sort of. Dual cores are best for gaming where as the only real advantage of a quad core is productivity applications that scale well

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Hi,
It really does depend on your budget, but consider this... The LGA775 socket that the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad chips use is at its end of life. If you purchase a 775 motherboard and want to upgrade your processor in a few years, there will be nothing faster than there is now.. and it'll be scarcer and more expensive too.
If you can afford an i7 or i5 system, by all means go for that. Both are new platforms with years of life in them, and good performance too. If you can't afford the i5, AMD has some very good alternatives... and the AM3 socket used now will have processors made for it for some time.
I recommend heading over to the New System Build forum ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31-322.html ) and checking out the How to Ask for Build Advice sticky--post there and you'll have at least one possible build to consider quickly.
cheers :) and good luck with your new build

Solution

zasch

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks guys for the quick replies. I have not considered core i5 or i7 as of now thinking that it'd cost me too much. what would be the difference?

Yeah, Phenom II is on my mind too. But a friend of mine has had some very bad experience with an AMD processor ( don't know which one, but def not a Phenom). He wasn't able to install Fedora Linux on his system and stuff like that! I may be wrong on this as I am not aware of the exact cause of it.. I'm kinda superstitious and AMD is not the main priority as of now. Do you guys think Phenom II is a good bet over quad core?

Thanks,
z:)