Sign in with
Your question

CPU questions...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 9, 2009 4:04:55 PM

Hi all, I have been reading though the homebuilt post,seeing what people are using. I see the i5 and i7 being suggested a lot. But have been seeing some AMD cpus also.To make a long list short. Are the Amd's good for gaming. Games like FSX,DCS Black shark. They are cheaper.

Any help would be fantastic....

More about : cpu questions

November 9, 2009 4:08:28 PM

Some games are CPU intensive, for those the i5 or i7 will be better but if the games are Video Card intensive, then the CPU is not as important, you will need to have a good video card instead.

I think the AMDs CPU's are good for gaming in both kinds of games, but I'm not an extreme gamer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2009 4:26:27 PM

geno777,

If you're seriously interested in flying FSX, it's the most CPU bound title you can run. It demands as much CPU horsepower you can afford to throw at it. FSX is 85% CPU but only 15% GPU, so highly overclocked Core i7 920 with HyperThreading @ 4.0 Ghz and just a single mainstream nVidia GPU such as a GTX-260 will yield the highest frame rates.

See Tom's Gaming Graphics Charts: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-char...

Comp :sol: 
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2009 6:43:34 PM

computronics

Thanks for the reply. As I am in the process of getting info and parts for my new build ( newbie). From what I have seen the i7 are more expensive than the AMD and C2D. So I suppose the best answer is that even overclocking a AMD or C2D would never measure up to the i7. What about the i5 ?

Current specs XPS 710,C2D 2.4 at 1066,768 mb gforce 8800 gtx..

I can't OC this PC.

My plan was to get a GTX 260 or better.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2009 7:50:37 PM

The i5 doesn't have HyperThreading. Also, since you already own an 8800-GTX, keep it, as it's well suited for FSX.
m
l
!