How do i un-do hard disk in sleep

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Device Manager
  • Disk Management
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 1, 2011 12:25:43 PM

in disk management i put my secondary hard drive to sleep, now i get errors when i try entering device manager or try to "manage" my computer.

my ssd is the c: drive and its working fine

More about : hard disk sleep

a c 392 G Storage
June 1, 2011 12:51:42 PM

I don't recall being able to put a drive to sleep from disk management. That is usually in the power settings. Are you sure you weren't using a 3rd party program or snap-in?
m
l
June 1, 2011 12:55:08 PM

not really computer savvy but no i dont think so.... i did this almost right after a fresh OS install... i right clicked on my D:D rive and hit sleep

the drive is in a snap in device though, i think
m
l
Related resources
a c 392 G Storage
June 1, 2011 2:22:17 PM

Which OS are you using? Windows doesn't have this feature, other than in it's power settings. You can't access it by right clicking on a drive.
m
l
June 1, 2011 3:09:24 PM

correction....i disabled it in device manager and now im having these problems

windows 7
m
l
June 1, 2011 3:16:05 PM

basically i want to re-enable it to get things back to normal but have no idea how
m
l
a c 392 G Storage
June 1, 2011 3:22:03 PM

That's odd, you should be able to go into device manager, right-click the drive, and select enable. Worst case, you could delete the disabled item, reboot, and it should reinstall on it's own.
m
l
June 1, 2011 3:43:37 PM

yea i cant go to device manager

the error i get is

::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{74246BFC-4C96-11D0-ABEF-0020AF6B0B7A}

The specified path does not exist. Check the path, and then try again.
m
l
a c 392 G Storage
June 1, 2011 3:48:31 PM

chchom22 said:
yea i cant go to device manager

the error i get is

::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{74246BFC-4C96-11D0-ABEF-0020AF6B0B7A}

The specified path does not exist. Check the path, and then try again.

Do you get this error when starting device manager or when trying to enable or delete the drive from device manager?

If you get the error when starting device manager, but can still get into the device manager, try deleting the drive, then reboot. If you get the error while trying to disable or delete the drive you may need to try something else. In this case, I think I'd remove power from the drive, boot up the computer and see if the drive is gone from the device manager. If it's gone, shut down the computer, reconnect the power to the drive, and boot up. Now check to see if the drive returned normally in device manager.
m
l
June 1, 2011 3:55:43 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Do you get this error when starting device manager or when trying to enable or delete the drive from device manager?

If you get the error when starting device manager, but can still get into the device manager, try deleting the drive, then reboot. If you get the error while trying to disable or delete the drive you may need to try something else. In this case, I think I'd remove power from the drive, boot up the computer and see if the drive is gone from the device manager. If it's gone, shut down the computer, reconnect the power to the drive, and boot up. Now check to see if the drive returned normally in device manager.

i get this error when i click on device manager, and it does not let me get into device manager--so i do not have an option of disabling or enabling. i already tried re installing OS and reformatting and attempted to disable again knowing that my system was "fresh" and the same thing happened.
m
l
a c 392 G Storage
June 1, 2011 4:00:07 PM

You went through the trouble of reinstalling the OS and you disabled the drive a second time after knowing the trouble it caused the first time???

Why are you trying to disable the drive in windows? If you are doing this for security, it's better to just remove the drive letter.

Currently, your only option may be to reinstall the OS again. I hope you imaged the OS before you starting messing in the device manager.
m
l
June 1, 2011 4:00:50 PM

interesting.... i opened up windows index experience for the heck of it(now that my hdd is disabled maybe my ssd will get a higher rating than 5.9) and it says

"the windows experience index is not applicable while on batteries."

and i am unable to run it
m
l
June 1, 2011 4:01:59 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
You went through the trouble of reinstalling the OS and you disabled the drive a second time after knowing the trouble it caused the first time???

Why are you trying to disable the drive in windows? If you are doing this for security, it's better to just remove the drive letter.

Currently, your only option may be to reinstall the OS again. I hope you imaged the OS before you starting messing in the device manager.

i was checking to see if the problem would occur again on a fresh install, now i know
m
l
a c 392 G Storage
June 1, 2011 4:07:41 PM

chchom22 said:
i was checking to see if the problem would occur again on a fresh install, now i know

I see. In the future, before experimenting with settings of which you don't know the result, I recommend that you image your OS partition and store it on a drive other than the one you're experimenting on. This way if something goes wrong, you can quickly restore the image and be back in business.

Sorry I don't have a quick solution to your problem. I know reinstalling the OS can be time consuming.
m
l
!