Power Supply starts/stops 2x's... then runs...

mgoblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
I just installed a Coolmax CTI-600 power supply in my PC. When I turn it on the power unit starts for 2 sec, then shuts down, it starts for another 2 sec, then shuts down, then it powers up and works fine.

What is causing this “stutter start up”? My previous power supply was 500W and I did not have this problem. Components in my system are…

- MSI P35 Neo motherboard
- Intel E7300 Core 2 Duo CPU [2.66GHz]
- 8 GB of DDR2 Ram 800Hz
- NVIDIA 8600 GT Video Card 256 MB Ram
- 2 Hard drives… 320 GB and 500 GB
- CD R/RW drive
- DVD R/RW drive
- Floppy drive
- Multi Flash Reader

I'm running Windows Vista Business 64 bit...

Any insight you can give me about this issue, and how to fix it, will be appreciated.

Why would it be dangerous? You do it all the time if you leave any of your AC/DC converters plugged into walls when not in use.

Edit: I don't know what's up with the players. They started the season golden. Almost like Forcier ran out of force-juice.

mgoblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
fl... I got a chance to follow up on your suggestion last night and started to disconnect the cd, dvd, fd... then decided to try it with just the mobo and main hdd... it worked fine..

So, I reconnected things one at time and restarted... The last connections I made, the FD, CD, and side door fan resulted in the weird start up... I the CD on a another feed and it's working fine...

Edit: I think the defense has been figured out by other teams and Forcier is a frosh... hard to pull out miracles every game when you're behind...

Thanks for the tip, which I have tucked away for future reference...

Curious. Is your PSU equipped with multiple 12V rails? Perhaps they were unbalanced, and you were overloading one? It works fine just by moving the optical disc to a different lead?

Idunno. The OSU game will go one of two ways (obviously). Parts of me feels an epic win coming out...but our record shows otherwise.