A few quick questions about Graphics cards

G

Hello, thanks for reading.
I recently bought a new Dell Insipiron 545. I don't know that much about computers,but since I've decided to buy a graphics card I've learnt a lot more. I would really like to ask a few questions about graphics cards and Dell.
I've got Intel core 2 quad Q8200 with 4 gigs of ram with some Intel chipset graphics that has actually suprised me with it's performance. I can play Company of Heroes, I was shocked. I have found out that Dells are all powered with 250w PSUs which has made things interesting. So:

1 All the cards I look at are HD / DVI, I only have a VGA monitor that I'm sticking with. Is the DVI - VGA adapter a usual thing to use? Would it be a problem.

2. Is it feasible to upgrade the Dell PSU at some point in the future. I don't have one of those slimline/ compact PCs.

Finally, I am aiming to get a budget card that will tide me over for the next year or so, hopefully being able to play Empire Total War and Assassins Creed, at low to medium resolution with little to no extras. I usually play older games but like to dabble with newer games :)
I have found a Ge Force 9500Gt 1GB DDR2 that says will run with 250w. That could be THE card, but I want to try for either the Radeon 4650 or 4670.
Can I run either the 4650/4670 safely with 250w?
Would the 4650 be better overall than the 9500GT?

Thanks for taking the time out to read over this and hope you can help.

Philip

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
1. Yeah most cards (maybe just not the 300 dollar cards) come with DVI-VGA adapters with work perfectly

2. It is possible but from what i've heard, dell uses their own size of psu's and a standard ATX powersupply might not fit, i think you may need to get it from Dell themselves. I don't have a dell so if someone does, please verify this...

I don't think you should try running any of those cards at 250w but it's your decision.
i also think a 4670 would be a good choice for your needs.

G

Thanks man, I like the 4670 as well. I used to have a laptop with a 8600GT and that was perfect for me and a 4670 looks like an upgrade. A 4670 needs about 350w of power?

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
1. From my personal experience, when I tried using DVI-VGA adapter on my old 8600GT to connect it to 24" ASUS monitor at 1080P max resolution via VGA cable, the picture appeared to be a little blurry. Used a DVI-to-DVI connection and noted the picture got sharper.

G

wow. That thing is detailed. I've heard it said you can never have to many watts as in it won't harm the PC, is that true?

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Just because your PSU is rated at higher wattage (e.g. 1200W) it does not mean that it constantly consumes that much. If your system requires less, than it will also consume less power. 1200 is just your headroom. So, no I don't think that a quality high power psu is going to harm your PC because it has more watts available.

The downside of that is of course price of the PSU itself and electricity. Higher power PSU will be more expensive. If your system only needs X watts of power and you put a 3X maximum output power supply on it, that's a waste in my books.

Different poeple have different methodologies of how they figure out how much they need. I do it this way: figure out total max consumption when everything is on full blast and add 15% to that. Then find a psu at that wattage, if none available then pick the next higher one.

G

Sound advice, thank you.
Do you think I can get away with a 9500GT 1GB DDR2 for now? I'm planning on keeping this PC for a while so I'm prepared to take it slowly with upgrading it.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Well...if u must, it might work. I had a generic 250w run a 9400GT and an Athlon x2 4800+. granted, they are different cards but i believe the only difference between the two is 16 extra shaders

G

I get the feeling I'd be better up just manning up and getting a new PSU.
Somehow.
Bloody Dell.