Minimum requirements == less fertile Sims?

I have a question:

A few weeks ago, I got a new laptop computer, which I have begun to
play The Sims 2 on (just like on my desktop). The laptop has the same
amount of memory (1 gig) as the desktop, but the laptop only has a 1.6
ghz processor instead of a 2.6 ghz, and the graphics aren't as good.
The Sims 2 runs (in some respects better: the laptop can work with the
music, the desktop can't), but i've noticed an odd side effect: Sims
aren't reproducing themselves!

On my old computer, when I picked 'Try for Baby', the little 'lullaby'
would play, and the female sim would become pregnant, about 75% of the
time - trying twice would certainly produce a future child. But on the
new computer, I've used the option about a dozen times so far (3 times
for one couple alone), and the only pregnancy so far (save for
pre-included ones like Brandi Broke) comes from an alien-abducted sim.
Since parties are also affected (I can only invite like 2-4 guests
instead of 6-8!), I wonder if this apparent infertility issues has more
to do with my computer's graphics card and processor then saltpeter in
the water...

I don't really think so. I've only got 512mb RAM myself and a 2.6gig
CPU, and it seems like I've got babies coming through the walls. One
couple took about 5 tries to get pregnant with their fourth baby,
though. There was a lot of hopping in and out of that bed.

~*~
vecki

It has to be the card, then. The laptop uses Intel's "Centrino" set of
chips (Pentium M processor, etc). It's got a "Mobile Intel 915 GM/GMS"
with 128 megs of Video Memory. The desktop has an NVIDIA GeForce 5600
with i believe only 64 megs of Video Memory. I guess the laptop card
must not be T&L compatible. I already run graphics on 'low' for the
Sims on the laptop. I hope Nightlife will at least run on this...

What kind of video card do you have on your desktop as opposed to your
laptop?
On the sims2 site it says that if your video card is a T&L capable card then
your processor can be the strength of your laptop. However, if your video
card does not have T&L capabilities, then you need at least the strength
your desktop has.
I really don't think that it has anything to do with babies tho :)

"Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
>I have a question:
>
> A few weeks ago, I got a new laptop computer, which I have begun to
> play The Sims 2 on (just like on my desktop). The laptop has the same
> amount of memory (1 gig) as the desktop, but the laptop only has a 1.6
> ghz processor instead of a 2.6 ghz, and the graphics aren't as good.
> The Sims 2 runs (in some respects better: the laptop can work with the
> music, the desktop can't), but i've noticed an odd side effect: Sims
> aren't reproducing themselves!
>
> On my old computer, when I picked 'Try for Baby', the little 'lullaby'
> would play, and the female sim would become pregnant, about 75% of the
> time - trying twice would certainly produce a future child. But on the
> new computer, I've used the option about a dozen times so far (3 times
> for one couple alone), and the only pregnancy so far (save for
> pre-included ones like Brandi Broke) comes from an alien-abducted sim.
> Since parties are also affected (I can only invite like 2-4 guests
> instead of 6-8!), I wonder if this apparent infertility issues has more
> to do with my computer's graphics card and processor then saltpeter in
> the water...

hi Admiral,

I have the same laptop as you, and I can't get sims 2 to run at all :( Could
you e-mail me privatelyand tell me your specs, what drivers your running etc
??

Thanks,

Tammy

> It has to be the card, then. The laptop uses Intel's "Centrino" set of
> chips (Pentium M processor, etc). It's got a "Mobile Intel 915 GM/GMS"
> with 128 megs of Video Memory. The desktop has an NVIDIA GeForce 5600
> with i believe only 64 megs of Video Memory. I guess the laptop card
> must not be T&L compatible. I already run graphics on 'low' for the
> Sims on the laptop. I hope Nightlife will at least run on this...

You can just about bet that Nightlife will require even higher stats,
especially with the new views and such. Seems with each expansion, more
memory and better graphics are required :(

Well, AFAIK, it's simply supposed to be a percentage chance per 'Try for
Baby' so you might just be being unlucky (75% sounds about right BTW). What
I can tell you is my comp (a PC) has less processing power than yours
(1.4GHz) with the same amount of memory and the video card also has its own
memory. I have no problems - in fact, I think some families have too many
babies. I use the cheat to get more guests at parties. What video card
does the laptop have?

Best wishes
Maxon

"Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
> I have a question:
>
> A few weeks ago, I got a new laptop computer, which I have begun to
> play The Sims 2 on (just like on my desktop). The laptop has the same
> amount of memory (1 gig) as the desktop, but the laptop only has a 1.6
> ghz processor instead of a 2.6 ghz, and the graphics aren't as good.
> The Sims 2 runs (in some respects better: the laptop can work with the
> music, the desktop can't), but i've noticed an odd side effect: Sims
> aren't reproducing themselves!
>
> On my old computer, when I picked 'Try for Baby', the little 'lullaby'
> would play, and the female sim would become pregnant, about 75% of the
> time - trying twice would certainly produce a future child. But on the
> new computer, I've used the option about a dozen times so far (3 times
> for one couple alone), and the only pregnancy so far (save for
> pre-included ones like Brandi Broke) comes from an alien-abducted sim.
> Since parties are also affected (I can only invite like 2-4 guests
> instead of 6-8!), I wonder if this apparent infertility issues has more
> to do with my computer's graphics card and processor then saltpeter in
> the water...

Excuse me here, but why email privately? Others here may have the same
issues and could benefit from the information.

> Excuse me here, but why email privately? Others here may have the same
> issues and could benefit from the information.

sorry here works too ...

Admiral DanielSBen wrote:
> It has to be the card, then. The laptop uses Intel's "Centrino" set of
> chips (Pentium M processor, etc). It's got a "Mobile Intel 915 GM/GMS"
> with 128 megs of Video Memory. The desktop has an NVIDIA GeForce 5600
> with i believe only 64 megs of Video Memory. I guess the laptop card
> must not be T&L compatible. I already run graphics on 'low' for the
> Sims on the laptop. I hope Nightlife will at least run on this...

Laptops arn't made for gaming, if you use a laptop to play resource
intensive games on, such as TS2, you need quite a high-spec one, higher than
the equivalent desktop, as they have different, much more compact, and
therefore, not quite as good technology. As you install more expansions on
the laptop, it will get worse, I would sugest using the desktop for gaming,
unless you really need to use the laptop.

Problem: I'm going to college, and taking the laptop with me. And the
desktop is my parent's computer. :p

Any way in hell to upgrade a laptop's video card? I figure it won't be
easy, especially with the built-in monitor and all. Because i'm not
paying another $1000 for a new desktop after paying close to $1500 for
this laptop. Especially since I'm about to go to college, and the only
desktop i can take with me (the old desktop) is close to 6 years old
and is far worse, stats-wise - it won't even run SimCity 4 (The laptop
runs SimCity 4 in low-graphics mode, my parent's desktop runs it like a
dream). And, at the moment, i'm using that desktop's mouse on the
laptop. Oh, and it's a linux box now, I couldn't re-install windows
after the hard disk got trashed (lost the #$#%$#$ certificate of
authenticity).

Oh, and for Tammy, the difference is probably that I knew I wanted to
play games on this computer, so I ordered it up-rated a bit. It's got a
full gig of RAM, for instance (an extra 512 megs of RAM is usually
better then 500 mhz more processor speed). As for the drivers and
stuff, it's got the same stuff that Dell sent it with.