Moving raid 0 drives

rickcl

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
My wonderful Dell XPS gen4 just crashed again and I was wondering if I could move these 2 drives to a new computer with Raid support. I want to build another computer and use these drives.

Thank you, Rick

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Rick,

Here is info from Intel on moving RAID drives. Assume you have a RAID 0 two drive system and your OS in on it?

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
Can I move my RAID volume to another system and access the data?

The hard drive members of a RAID volume can be moved to another system and the data on that RAID volume can then be accessed. This may be necessary in the event of a motherboard failure.

If the new system includes a different I/O controller than the one on which the RAID volume was created, you should not attempt to boot to the RAID volume. You should boot to an operating system on another non-RAID hard drive or RAID volume and, from there, access the contents of the original RAID volume.

"As an example, if you move a bootable RAID 0 volume created on a system with ICH5R to a system with the Intel® 82801GR I/O controller hub (ICH7R), you should not boot to the RAID 0 volume. Instead, you should install an operating system on a non-RAID hard drive or a new RAID volume and access the contents of the original RAID 0 volume from within that operating system."

So you need to know what chipset is on your XPS and what the new chipset is on your "new" computer.

Hope that's helpful.