Sign in with
Your question

RAM incompatibility?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 6, 2010 5:09:53 AM

Sometimes my system refuses to boot, like after a shoddy OC or when the RAM is pulled out. It starts working again after a variable no of tries changing the position of the sticks (ie stick A in slot B and vice versa). Sometimes one change fixes it, sometimes it needs a dozen. Also, since this problem started, I occassionally get black dots on the screen. Like the white ones when ones GPU overheats, only black. Lately, games have also been producing dots variable colors, missing textures, corruputed polygons etc. Also, every once in a while I end up with a BSOD.

This started happening about two weeks after I got my machine. After I bought it, the machine wasn't switched on for about a week. Thought it was a motherboard problem, changed my board on warranty. Same problem.

I noticed that in my board's user guide, there was a list of qualified vendors. The serial on the little black rectangular things on my RAM didn't match with any of the ones in that list. Can that be the problem?

More about : ram incompatibility

February 6, 2010 12:30:31 PM

Bump.
February 7, 2010 10:57:37 AM

Will somwonw please pleaaaasae help?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2010 12:49:23 PM

Call me a fool but shouldn't the seller be the one to ask?, get it fixed or get your money back.
February 7, 2010 1:07:22 PM

roonj said:
Call me a fool but shouldn't the seller be the one to ask?, get it fixed or get your money back.

Frankly speaking, I don't have much confidence in him. Hence the thread.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
February 7, 2010 6:42:38 PM

Are you overclocking? Did you set the memory timings and voltage correctly? Have you tried a different PSU?
February 8, 2010 9:28:04 AM

with a ASUS MB, if the memory module is not listed in the QVL, DO NOT USE IT, you will have nothing but trouble
February 8, 2010 11:43:09 AM

GhislainG said:
Are you overclocking? Did you set the memory timings and voltage correctly? Have you tried a different PSU?

PSU's fine.
February 8, 2010 11:43:31 AM

number13 said:
with a ASUS MB, if the memory module is not listed in the QVL, DO NOT USE IT, you will have nothing but trouble

This is what I wanted to hear...
!