Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Quetsions about OS boot drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
June 1, 2011 10:33:13 PM

Hi all,

I am in the process of building a new PC for me, I like to game, use photoshop and burn bluerays.

I am buying the Vertex 3 MAXIOPS to be the main SSD for my new PC with a seagate 3TB for storage.

Was wondering what difference it would make to have say a Vertex 2 40GB SSD for a boot drive, with anti-virus and rainmeter, then just use the Vertex 3 for games,programs etc.

I mean does the OS ever even use the full sata 6/Gbs?
Would the speed difference be noticeable even if it does?

I have 16GB of ram and was going to put the swap on it, if that matters.

What I have so far

Asus Crosshair Formula IV
AMD 1090T BE
Antec HCG 900
16GB of patriot viper extreme @2000
CoolerMaster Storm Scout Case

Thanks everyone!

More about : quetsions boot drive

a b G Storage
June 2, 2011 3:56:12 AM

I would tend to avoid the configuration you are proposing. If you have a separate drive for applications it will not have the assumed C:\ path that some software expects to see on installation. The proposed SSD for OS / Applications and the large but traditional HDD for data is much more valid. Having 16 GB of RAM can be useful but after having that amount for a while I downgraded to 4 GB and have not regretted it. If you are using a fast drive for the OS then the swap file will work just as well in terms of real world computing.
Score
0
June 2, 2011 4:11:06 AM

Wamphryi said:
I would tend to avoid the configuration you are proposing. If you have a separate drive for applications it will not have the assumed C:\ path that some software expects to see on installation. The proposed SSD for OS / Applications and the large but traditional HDD for data is much more valid. Having 16 GB of RAM can be useful but after having that amount for a while I downgraded to 4 GB and have not regretted it. If you are using a fast drive for the OS then the swap file will work just as well in terms of real world computing.



So how about a Agility 3 60GB for OS apps and games, then buy another for RAID when I run low on space?

Someone here mentioned that very soon RAID will work on SSDs with trim support, which no trim was the only thing holding me back from a RAID set-up before.

Also not having your swap on a SSD extends its life right? Why would I not use my extra RAM for swap?
Score
0
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 3, 2011 11:30:56 PM

metawin said:
So how about a Agility 3 60GB for OS apps and games, then buy another for RAID when I run low on space?

Someone here mentioned that very soon RAID will work on SSDs with trim support, which no trim was the only thing holding me back from a RAID set-up before.

Also not having your swap on a SSD extends its life right? Why would I not use my extra RAM for swap?


Hey Meta,

If you were going to use an Agility 3 for your basic apps, etc. What would you use the RAID setup for? I would think most users are satisfied with just an OS SSD with few apps, games, and the media files on a decent regular HDD.

Generally speaking, the less data access on the SSD, preserves its lifespan.
Score
0
June 4, 2011 1:12:38 AM

icy dock said:
Hey Meta,

If you were going to use an Agility 3 for your basic apps, etc. What would you use the RAID setup for? I would think most users are satisfied with just an OS SSD with few apps, games, and the media files on a decent regular HDD.

Generally speaking, the less data access on the SSD, preserves its lifespan.



Because 60GB is too small, after OS and Starcraft 2 (with a new DLC on the way too) I would be half full. That does not even include anitvirus, rainmeter, everyday programs, photoshop or other games.

Besides 2 drives are not only faster but also preserves the drives individually somewhat.
Did I mention faster?
Score
0

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 7, 2011 11:48:22 PM

metawin said:
Because 60GB is too small, after OS and Starcraft 2 (with a new DLC on the way too) I would be half full. That does not even include anitvirus, rainmeter, everyday programs, photoshop or other games.

Besides 2 drives are not only faster but also preserves the drives individually somewhat.
Did I mention faster?


Something you need to consider when putting 2 SSD's in RAID is if your RAID card is SATA 3 compatible. If it is not then you will probably not see much performance increase. Also as you may know, placing 2 SSD's in RAID 0 is very risky since if 1 drive fails than data on both will be lost. Also if you plan on upgrading to a RAID system in the future you will have to re-install your OS and apps. Hope that helps in making your selection.
Share
June 8, 2011 12:40:22 AM

icy dock said:
Something you need to consider when putting 2 SSD's in RAID is if your RAID card is SATA 3 compatible. If it is not then you will probably not see much performance increase. Also as you may know, placing 2 SSD's in RAID 0 is very risky since if 1 drive fails than data on both will be lost. Also if you plan on upgrading to a RAID system in the future you will have to re-install your OS and apps. Hope that helps in making your selection.



Right, in my specs I listed my MB and it has an on board controller, the new Jmircron, not a card for raid so yes it will work.

Also there is no risk of data loss because of the disk image back up being on a separate HDD, so if one fails, return it for a replacement under its 3 year warranty and then restore from the disk image.

My only real concern was not being supported with trim in raid, but the new controllers do just as well with garbage collection if set up correctly, even without trim enabled and you should not see a performance decrease without doing a secure erase like on the old controllers.

BTW, I just bought a Vertex 3 120GB for $250, after my other upgrades are done I will be getting a 2nd for raid and can't wait!!

Thank you for all of your help! :) 
Score
0
June 8, 2011 8:13:06 PM

Best answer selected by Metawin.
Score
0
June 8, 2011 8:28:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!