Serial to PS/2 Adaptors Never Work

jaslr

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I have a 5 year old computer and the only mouse outlet is a serial outlet. I have a ps/2 mouse so I plug that into a ps/2 to serial adaptor and plug it into the serial outlet.

For the life of me, this has never worked. Is there anything I have to enable in bios or is it just known that these adaptors never work?

Regards

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Had the same problem with an ancient machine. Some PS/2 mice (eg MS Intellimouse) do not work with PS/2-Serial adaptors while others (eg Logitech 3button) work fine.

Even then, getting the thing to work in Win '98 took some experimenting with serial port resource settings in the BIOS. And it would only work on COM1...

Err, sorry. This aint much help...

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
yea, those things suck alot. i couldnt get a simple ms mouse to work, not optical, no wheel just the old style 2 button mouse.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, here's the deal: Most mice are not compatable with such devices. Haven't been for years. If you HAD a mouse that WAS compatable, it probably came with the correct type: I have an old mouse here with a PS/2 end that says on the bottom PS2/Serial Mouse. But I have yet to try it with an adapter.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, BTW, let us know what board you have. If it has the VX chipset or newer, it probably has PS/2 and USB headers on the board which aren't being used (don't have the output cables installed) and I can help you get the accessories you need for them.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>