Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Joysticks

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
December 16, 2009 11:23:27 AM

I really like Win7 the only thing I miss is that you have to have drivers for everything, I really miss my joystick, there's no way to configure it as a generic device :( 

More about : joysticks

a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2009 2:06:40 AM

Really? I've found Windows 7 to be better than any previous version of Windows that I've worked with regarding its ability to find and install appropriate drivers for all of my peripherals (though I still install the manufacturer's drivers for most devices for performance reasons). Is it an obscure manufacturer or something that hasn't made drivers available for Win7? A Vista driver would probably work as well if you can find one. You might even try an XP driver, though there's a higher risk of getting a BSoD. (An XP driver actually worked for an old integrated GPU I tested, until I tried to run a 3D game. But for normal desktop apps, it was fine!)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2009 5:34:12 AM

Win7 sees the joystick as what it is, make and model, but the manufacturer has not released driver past XP, tried to instll them and all it said was they did not install properly, and the game(X2) does not see it, and there is no way to check the operation in Win7, axis and buttons, probably a problem with DX6 or 7 in XP drivers, and the lack of suport for anything but DX10+
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2009 5:51:27 AM

What make of joystick? My Logitech one works just fine with Windows 7 (64-bit version).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2009 7:33:14 AM

AVB Hot Shot Pegasus will have to get a Logitech sent from America, and it'll match my G15 keyboard
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2009 10:36:01 AM

Actually, Win7 supports DX9 as well... Did you try the USB game controller setup in Win7? Just type "USB Game" in the Start menu's instant search, and then click the top result in the list that appears. And about installing the XP drivers, I forgot to mention that you need to match the "bit" version, i.e., most XP drivers will only work for Win7 32-bit. If that's what you have, you can try a manual install of the XP drivers. (Use a program like 7-zip to extract the files from the installer into a folder, keep extracting the .exe files in there until you find a .inf install file, then use the "Update Driver" command in Device Manager to force it to install from that .inf.)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2009 2:41:37 PM

cool I'll try that
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 18, 2009 3:28:47 AM

wel the driver package for XP is a .exe so I could not open the file up with 7zip, says that it cannot uncompress the file, and after running it I still can't configure the joystick, when I plug it is Win7 sees it ok, but thats all
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 18, 2009 11:57:51 AM

Just type "USB Game" in the Start menu's instant search, and then click the top result in the list that appears. said:
Just type "USB Game" in the Start menu's instant search, and then click the top result in the list that appears.

Did you try that, too? I know that 7-zip can't extract every executable. Too bad the XP driver .exe was one of them! (It handles the vast majority that I've tried, so I thought it was a good bet...)
a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2009 11:33:25 AM

it was a good ides, pity the manufacturer did rewrite the driver for Vista
m
l
August 3, 2010 4:35:24 PM

When you finished with the driver installation try it to calibrate. ;) 
m
l
!