Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC freezes on stock settings after OC

Last response: in Overclocking
October 13, 2011 1:41:51 PM

A recently bought a new video card and some memory to upgrade my computer and I couldn't find a stable setting. I switched back to my old build with stock settings and my computer still freezes. I don't know what component is failing and I am hoping someone with troubleshooting experience can help walk me through and diagnose my computer. Here's my system:

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) 9-10-9-28 1.5V
hec X-Power Pro 650 650W Continuous @ 40°C ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V

Obviously I needed to OC my FSB to get my memory to run on my board, but I didn't know what the safest way to do that was. I read quite a few guides on the procedure and came to the conclusion that I needed to set my FSB at 233 to use the 1866 memory and underclock my CPU until I found a stable setting. I set my CPU multiplier at x15 so it would still sit at 3.4GHz and kept CPU-NB and HTT on Auto with the new memory timings set to the default for that stick. My computer booted up and ran very well for about 4-6 hours of gameplay and then my screen froze and I was forced to hard reboot. My computer had not crashed in a very long time so this was a bad sign. I booted it up fine and ran it again for another 4-6 hours until it crashed again. No BSOD, no sound, screen freezes on whatever I'm doing, computer fans are still running, soft reset and soft power buttons don't work.

I contacted a friend of mine with OC experience and we set the FSB to 220 with a CPU-NB and HTT of 2100, CPU multiplier at x17, and increased the CPU voltage to 1.4V. Again my computer booted fine and ran well just like before, but eventually froze. We tried lowering the CPU multiplier and FSB but could never find a stable setting. I have since been using my old 1333 memory and reset my BIOS to default settings, however the crashes still occur. At this point I doubt the problem is with my memory and I feel like the problem lies in my CPU, GPU, or MB. CPU and GPU temperatures are running low on loads around 40C and 50C respectively. Beyond that I don't know what to check for.

I have noticed my computer makes a CLICK noise after running for an hour or two, the exact same sound my computer makes right before it shutdowns or I put it to sleep. I believe the sound is coming from my motherboard, but I don't know what is happening. I feel confident that this sound is the problem, it first happened when I overclocked my computer if I put my computer to sleep before it freezes, often I can return later and use my computer for a good length of time without lockup. So what could it be? My temperatures are fairly low when my computer crashes, so what's happening here?

More about : freezes stock settings

October 13, 2011 2:56:14 PM

Looking at a couple of threads I've seen here it seems I put my FSB very high for my initial configuration. Would that cause long term problems? Looking at the posted configuration settings in this thread

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/499526-official-pheno...

I can see a lot of people with similar builds of me getting great overclocked speeds. I'm not focusing on overclocking at this point, but I wonder if my system might be needing a higher voltage than the stock settings give it. A lot of people are putting about 1.5V to their 965BE, when mine runs at 1.35V by default. Just adding .0625V (one step increment) puts my VCore at 1.45V.

Am I looking in the wrong direction for a solution for my problem?
m
l

Best solution

a b À AMD
a b } Memory
a c 241 K Overclocking
October 13, 2011 4:04:39 PM

Oc your cpu use multiplier it will be better for be cpu, if you raise too much fsb your ram will unstable. Keep your fsb at 200 and nb at 2000 , if you want overclock ram just change divider or tighten timming,
You need overclock slowly don't be hurry, try overclock without adding voltage or change option vcore with smallest [+0.05v]
Also not sure with your PSU hec 650W enough for overclock system,
Related resources
October 13, 2011 4:21:55 PM

I honestly don't understand how to effectively change my RAM settings. With my 1866 sticks I know now that I should aim to run them around 1600 because 1866 would require me to strain my system.

Tighten the timings? Ram divider? Could someone please explain what this means and how to do it correctly?
m
l
October 14, 2011 7:42:40 PM

UPDATE: Regarding the CLICK sound I hear after an hour or two of usage I am now hearing the component BOOT BACK UP for some reason. This is clearly an issue with one of my fans, but it doesn't make any sense why it's doing this. The fan speed is adjusting randomly without regard to load on either device. My fans shouldn't slow down in game, and they shouldn't speed back up while surfing the net.

Without much evidence I want to conclude it is my video card that is crashing my computer. I haven't had this problem before so I don't know how to confirm this. Shouldn't I be getting driver errors before I crash? What about a BSOD? If my computer crashes due to video card errors, what are the possible problems?
m
l
a b À AMD
a b } Memory
a c 241 K Overclocking
October 15, 2011 9:26:48 AM

What is your massage bsod, 0x00000124 / 0x00000050B or what ?
First you need go default , increase fan vga 70%, disabled smart fan cpu from bios, if still had bsod you need ran memtes86+ , test your ram one by one
m
l
October 15, 2011 8:46:56 PM

I am NOT getting BSOD though. The screen freezes and my computer locks up. No error message or error codes. What else do you think I should do?
m
l
a b À AMD
a b } Memory
a c 241 K Overclocking
October 16, 2011 4:59:41 AM

Freezes is many issue , it's can by wrong driver, viruses, or failure hardware , actually ram fail , ran memtest86+, test one by one
m
l
December 15, 2011 10:13:44 AM

Hey I have been reading multiple threads about the said subject, as I am having kind of the same problem, all seem to insist i should look into the power supply as it is one of the most unknown and mostly overlooked causes of a computer freezing nowadays...
m
l
December 15, 2011 5:24:04 PM

I have since given up on this problem and have accepted the fact that I'm screwed. I actually replaced my power supply and it did not fix the problem.

The problem appears to be my processor locking up and unable to report the blue screen of death. I did receive the BSOD once and it said "clock interrupt not received on secondary processor" but never looked into it. You may want to Google search that error and see if it's anything similar to what you're experiencing.

Good luck.
m
l
April 14, 2012 11:42:32 PM

I had the kinda the same problem with my computer but i never got the blue screen my cpu kept locking up
i found a overclocking app call clockgen i overclocked my cpu and the problem stopped i also overclocked my gpu along with overclocking my cpu the app overclocked my ram chips i have to say my computer is running like a top no.....

Spec's

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-core 4200+ 2.20Ghz 2000 MHz 512 KB Per L2 cache Per Core,

nVIDIA GeForce 6100

Ram 1.50 Gb

Windows 7 32 Bit

2000 Mhz Overclocked to 3203 Mhz
m
l
April 25, 2012 4:43:58 PM

Best answer selected by dorkydude666.
m
l