Sign in with
Your question

What does dual lan do?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 6, 2010 9:10:26 AM

What does dual lan do?

On my ""GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55"" one of the lan port is block off with a silver sticker, and i dont really know what to do with it.

More about : dual lan

a b å Intel
a c 156 V Motherboard
February 6, 2010 10:36:13 AM

Two things. You can use it as a separate ethernet port with another computer to share an internet connection. And you can use them together to gain increased bandwidth.
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 6, 2010 1:10:19 PM

Another possibility: if, like so many do these days, your ethernet printer or multi-function gives you a choice of either wireless, or an RJ connector - you might be surprised at how fast it actually is (especially at transfering scans) when 'wired'!
Related resources
February 6, 2010 9:05:01 PM

Lets say I want to use it to increase bandwidth, is it as easy as plug and go?
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 6, 2010 10:25:52 PM

'Teaming' or 'bonding' two LAN ports requires that your switch (more likely) or router (less likely) supports link aggregation (q.v.), which comes in two flavors - static and dynamic (q.v.) - and then requires installation of a driver 'stub' to activate it; the procedure is on page 86 of your manual...
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 6, 2010 10:32:40 PM

...which brings up an interesting point - I've never just enabled the two ports and hooked 'em up to my switch or router to see what the drivers would do with them seperately - it may simply 'distribute' the load, but I've usually got it reserved for a variety of uses involving industrial processors... If my ^%$# system was up and running :fou:  , I'd try it right now! I know I've got a 'loose end' near enough at least the router to reach, but I'm awaiting (15 days and counting) a PSU RMA :cry: 
March 17, 2010 5:50:57 PM

bilbat said:
'Teaming' or 'bonding' two LAN ports requires that your switch (more likely) or router (less likely) supports link aggregation (q.v.), which comes in two flavors - static and dynamic (q.v.) - and then requires installation of a driver 'stub' to activate it; the procedure is on page 86 of your manual...

you need to do all that to access two dsl lines simultaneously :o 

is it not plug and play :( 

a c 177 V Motherboard
March 17, 2010 10:07:16 PM

Shouldn't have to do anything to hit two DSLs (assuming two physical modems, with distinct MAC addresses), in fact 'teaming' won't work there - should just work...
!