What does dual lan do?

What does dual lan do?

On my ""GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55"" one of the lan port is block off with a silver sticker, and i dont really know what to do with it.
7 answers Last reply
More about what dual
  1. Two things. You can use it as a separate ethernet port with another computer to share an internet connection. And you can use them together to gain increased bandwidth.
  2. Another possibility: if, like so many do these days, your ethernet printer or multi-function gives you a choice of either wireless, or an RJ connector - you might be surprised at how fast it actually is (especially at transfering scans) when 'wired'!
  3. Lets say I want to use it to increase bandwidth, is it as easy as plug and go?
  4. 'Teaming' or 'bonding' two LAN ports requires that your switch (more likely) or router (less likely) supports link aggregation (q.v.), which comes in two flavors - static and dynamic (q.v.) - and then requires installation of a driver 'stub' to activate it; the procedure is on page 86 of your manual...
  5. ...which brings up an interesting point - I've never just enabled the two ports and hooked 'em up to my switch or router to see what the drivers would do with them seperately - it may simply 'distribute' the load, but I've usually got it reserved for a variety of uses involving industrial processors... If my ^%$# system was up and running :fou: , I'd try it right now! I know I've got a 'loose end' near enough at least the router to reach, but I'm awaiting (15 days and counting) a PSU RMA :cry:
  6. bilbat said:
    'Teaming' or 'bonding' two LAN ports requires that your switch (more likely) or router (less likely) supports link aggregation (q.v.), which comes in two flavors - static and dynamic (q.v.) - and then requires installation of a driver 'stub' to activate it; the procedure is on page 86 of your manual...

you need to do all that to access two dsl lines simultaneously :o

is it not plug and play :(

7. Shouldn't have to do anything to hit two DSLs (assuming two physical modems, with distinct MAC addresses), in fact 'teaming' won't work there - should just work...
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte LAN Intel Motherboards