SSD Initial Setup and Optimization

darkslash_323

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm going to be getting a SSD soon and I've been researching on how to extend the lifespan of an SSD through Windows 7 optimization and etc. But after reading around there are a lot for and against these certain optimizations/tweaks. I was wondering if there are certain tweaks that are absolutely necessary?( like disabling schedule defrag).

I've read in one forum that someone even disabled windows update to minimize writing to the ssd....but that sounds kind of ridiculous, to not keep your system up to date lol.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Here is a quick list of common tweaks:

1) Disable System Restore
2) Disable drive indexing
3) Disable the page file
4) Disable Hibernation
5) Disable prefetching
6) Disable Windows' write caching
7) Disable the SuperFetch and Windows Search services
8) Disable ClearPageFileAtShutdown and LargeSystemCache
9) Adjust power settings

The typical recommended ones are 2), 4), 5), 7) & 9). These basically decrease unnecessary writes to the SSD or are disabled by Windows when sees a SSD. # 9) helps prevent "sleep" issues with SSD, so it is recommended.

# 6) Has a negative impact on the older Intel controllers (X25's) and has seen a little to no benefit on other SSD controllers.

# 1) Gives you back valuable space but comes as a risk of not...
In case you haven't read them here is a link to an entire series of ssd guides over at The SSD Review:

http://thessdreview.com/category/ssd-guides/

One of the guides specifically addresses Windows 7 optimization. There is a disclaimer in large bold print that clearly states it is not necessary to alter Windows. The author added such changes may cause problems

You'll have to read about each change and decide if you want to give it a try.

darkslash_323

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Yeah, I was able to read through the optimization guide on that site you provided me earlier. But was still a bit unclear as to whether or not certain ones are really necessary/ sound reasonably. I was wondering if people have tried certain tweaks and deemed them to be good for helping prolong a ssd's lifespan.

Thanks!

I am gowing old disgracefully and I forget stuff. I vaguely recall reading some of the neagtive comments about some of the optimization techiques. Some of the techniques may or may not work and some of them might be of questionable value.

I think I remember reading that about 4 of the techniques are not necessary but I can't remember which ones. I'm pretty sure tecmo knows the answer. I'll have to see if I can get him to pop in and help out.

EDIT - I just sent tecmo a message asking him to help out.

tecmo34

Administrator
Here is a quick list of common tweaks:

1) Disable System Restore
2) Disable drive indexing
3) Disable the page file
4) Disable Hibernation
5) Disable prefetching
6) Disable Windows' write caching
7) Disable the SuperFetch and Windows Search services
8) Disable ClearPageFileAtShutdown and LargeSystemCache
9) Adjust power settings

The typical recommended ones are 2), 4), 5), 7) & 9). These basically decrease unnecessary writes to the SSD or are disabled by Windows when sees a SSD. # 9) helps prevent "sleep" issues with SSD, so it is recommended.

# 6) Has a negative impact on the older Intel controllers (X25's) and has seen a little to no benefit on other SSD controllers.

# 1) Gives you back valuable space but comes as a risk of not having this feature to revert back in an issue.

# 8) Has little to no impact either way for the most part but if you disable PageFile it makes sense to do.

# 3) Is the most difficult decision... IMO. It can provide a good chunk of capacity back by disabling (or moving to another drive) but at a risk of system issues if RAM uses exceeds RAM capacity and no "virtual RAM" available. I highly recommend checking your RAM usage under max condition and giving yourself 25% to 50% over that. If you have RAM to cover that, you should be safe to disable. Otherwise, you might want to think about more RAM or adjusting PageFile's size instead.

Look for something from Tom's (hint maybe) in a week or so about this topic... It maybe very interesting

Solution