Sign in with
Your question

Just a Quickie About my Motherborad..Crossfire.

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Crossfire
Last response: in Motherboards
February 6, 2010 10:45:23 AM

:bounce:  Hello all a toms , Would it be possible for a little help ,I have a GA-MA785GT-UD3H M/B And would like to add a second HD4890 Video card in crossfire ,However saying that my motherboard says it has 1x16pci-e slot and 1x4pci-e slot ,Would this then mean that its not worth adding a second card because of the second slot being 1x4 ? Please help me as i didn't no what ati crossfire was when i brought the motherboard .It came from ccl computers with ram and processor already installed. .I have googled it but i cannot find a Defoe answer on this. thanks for your time. PS please answer in layman trems as im not to up on very techincal matters as this . EG Yes it will improve vidoe game proformance by so many percent ,Or no it wont due to the second pci-e being 1x4. BIG THANKS to all that can offer me some insight into this matter ...Jason....

More about : quickie motherborad crossfire

a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2010 10:52:46 AM

I believe tat MB supports Hybrid crossfire with the onboard ATI 4200 chip. Check the MB manual for an ATI video card capable of running in Hybrid crossfire...

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Ov...

*2 PCI-E 2.0 x16 interface with ATI Hybrid CrossFireX support for ultimate graphics performance

a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2010 10:58:41 AM

** Please use ATI Hybrid CrossFireX certified VGA card (i.e., ATI Radeon HD 2400, 3400 series).
Related resources
February 6, 2010 11:03:39 AM

thanks for your quick replay . If i turn off the inboard graphics as i don't use them will i then be able to go full crossfire ? The gigabyte website say there are 2 pci-e16 .But that not true as one off then is orange and say 1x4 pci-e . I'm confused more now then i was before Please someone tell me Yes to full crossfire or No as the 1x4 pci-e wouldn't offer any more performance then a single card that i have right now. Few thanks peeps.
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2010 2:48:49 PM

jason-uk said:
thanks for your quick replay . If i turn off the inboard graphics as i don't use them will i then be able to go full crossfire ? The gigabyte website say there are 2 pci-e16 .But that not true as one off then is orange and say 1x4 pci-e . I'm confused more now then i was before Please someone tell me Yes to full crossfire or No as the 1x4 pci-e wouldn't offer any more performance then a single card that i have right now. Few thanks peeps.

No. I don't belive so.
February 6, 2010 5:13:47 PM

Thank you for your time :) 
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2010 5:29:30 PM

Your welcome. Even if you could use the 16x plus 4x slot for Xfire, the performance would be poor. I know results for SLI using a 16x and 4x slot are very non productive. A single hi performance card would be better than the native Xfire with a Radeon 3400 on that board. I have a 780G setup in native Xfire with onboard 3200. That configuraion is a very poor performer compared to a high performance single video card.
February 6, 2010 7:49:55 PM

Ok thank you for your time ,I guess i will have to change M/B when i get the cash ....:) 
February 7, 2010 10:54:43 AM

I Have been googling again and found this article ,So i could add a second HD4890 to the one 1 already have and performance may not be crippled as much as i first thought by the 1x4PCI-E SLOT . Please could you look at this link and confirm it for me http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-140632-PCI-x16...
!