Sockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sparkle_ftw

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
How much will my performance suffer if I use a cpu that is am3, in am2+ board? Somebody told me the L3 would max out at 2 mb on am2+

xaira

Distinguished
then that person is retarded, you will not use any performance, if you buy a cpu with 6mb l3, then all 6 megs will be available, with am2+ boards, the only thing that changes is that you use ddr2 instead of ddr3, in the case of an am2 board that extends support for am3, then you will be limited to 2000mt/s on the hyper transport, either way there will be no significant decrease of performance.

loneninja

Distinguished
You won't loose any performance on the cpu itself, you just loose out on the memory performance. DDR2 is slower than DDR3, but from the testing results I've seen it's under a 5% performance difference. It's nothing noticable unless your worried about benchmark scores.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Slight cap on the Hypertransport too. But nothing to worry about, nothing you'll notice. Pop a 3% OC onto it and you'll outperform the same CPU on an AM3 board, if you need to raise your computer's self-esteem.