Old School Windows 3.0 boot/bios problem

kfgray

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Alright, I got a problem with an old windows 3.0 computer. First just to let you know we are running windows 3.0 because the software on it runs this tool in our research facility and we can not upgrade the computer unless we want to spend 100,000 to buy an entire new system/software and that is if we are lucky. We probably would have to pay more for an entire new system. (If you are wondering its a RIE system in a semiconductor lab at a university)

Over Christmas the CMOS battery died in the motherboard. After replacing the battery "surprise" it didn't boot. Out IT department has spent a month trying to get it working thinking that its a problem with the hard drive. However, when I put the hard drive in another older computer (its not as old though), it boots right up.

All that leaves is there is something wrong with the bios on the computer that had the battery fail. I have set the hard disk type to the 47 or the user specific format. However it still doesn't boot to windows, it only boots to DOS. Anyone have any suggestions to try. Thanks.

Have you checked all of the BIOS settings ? - IIRC older systems had to have LBA (large Block Addressing) enabled in the BIOS to be able to use larger size HDD's and maybe the CMOS battery dying reset the BIOS to a default which did not have it enabled. - IF it is booting properly on another setup it sounds like it might just be a Bios setting that hgot cleared by the battery dying.

kfgray

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

I figured it has to be some BIOS setting that we are missing. I'll look for that in the BIOs. Thanks.