Manually Setting CPU Vcore and NB Freq and NB voltage HELP!!!

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Hey guys

In my other post i stated that my phenom 9950 was running at 50-53C on idle and about 61C on full load.

Someone mentioned to me that my Vcore is surpose to be below 1.3v well mine hit 1.41V when the CPU hit 61C on load, and after changes from 1.32-1.36 on idle.

so i was instructed to go into my bios and set the CPU voltage manually to say 1.28v

Now upon finding out how to do this i come across some foreign terriorty, NB freq and NB voltage.

now am i right in thinking this set up would work (i found this stuff out by using CPUZ, everest, ect these are my current values except the CPU voltage this is the only thing i want to change) please give you views and opinions

CPU voltage: 1.28v
NB freq: x10 2000mhz
NB Voltage: 1v
CPU Freq: x13 2600mhz

if i was to go into my bios and set it manually to these figures, what would be the worst that could happen?

Kind Regards

Nytrus90

The System:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD 9950 phenom 125w Black Edtion (quad-core)
Sony DVD+RW
Alphapower 1050watt
HIS Radeon HD 4870
Asrock 780gxh (780g chipset, with Crossfire support AM3 CPU ready, FSB 2600)
4gb Patriot 800mhz DD

What my bios looks like (not PERSONALLY MINE)

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2009/asrock/A780GMH-128M-Review/g4.htm

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Well, go down in your BIOS and toggle the option for AMD Cool n' Quiet. (If it's on, off, and vice versa).

I wouldn't suggest undervolting your CPU. That could cause some problems... :|

1) Ungang the memory controller
(first pic - bottom of screen shot)

2) There is nothing wrong with undervolting. That's what C&Q does. If you wish to OC 1.28v is a good place to start (and disable C&Q!).

3) For each 10% you increase NB Freq, you increase memory bandwidth 3-4% and reduce latency 3-4%.

2400MHz should be within your reach without too many problems - try the x11 and then x12 multiplier - monitor temps and stability. Bump the NBv to 1.15 or 1.2 if necessary. Some folks go higher but I wouldn't do it --- Phenoms are really sensitive to voltage increases.

3) On the second page of screen shots note the 'Advanced Clock Calibration' or ACC.

The original Phenoms have 'magic pins' which use ACC to improve PLL and system timing. I would recommend setting this to 'All Cores' --- or if that seems funky, 'Auto'. The '+2' setting seems about right to start but you can experiment with your settings to dial things in.

4) With the use of ACC you should be able to increase your CPU clock speed at least 400MHz. First try the CPU x14 multiplier and check your temps and stability. If you are happy, bump it up to x15.

With a little tweaking you may get up to 3.2GHz+ with good air. I'm not sure about that specific motherboard but I've had good success with ASRock stuff ...

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Thank you for your post maybe you kinda got confused about my intentions, im not looking to over clock my system just want stock setting but to devolt the CPU to lower the tempertures it emits.

my question is if i was to run with the setup stated in the OP would it be safe?

Kind Regards

Nytrus90

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
right i just tried the above with the values stated and system didnt wanna post, had to clear the CMOS to get alive again, any thing i did wrong?

Kind regards

Nytrus90