How to hide the printers and faxes icon from startmenu

July 26, 2004 12:01:31 PM

I am using windows xp Proff. I am using gpedit to lock
down the computer. I can remove everything except the
printers and faxes icon from the start menu. I called
microsoft support where you pay 35.00 per incident and
they could not help me. Has anyone done this? Any help
would be great.

Thank you

John
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 6:00:28 PM

John, you could have saved yourself 35 bucks and rt click on Start
Button>select Properties>Customize>Advanced>scroll down and uncheck Printers
and Faxes.
"John" <jgundelaanonymous@mchenry.edu> wrote in message
> I am using windows xp Proff. I am using gpedit to lock
> down the computer. I can remove everything except the
> printers and faxes icon from the start menu. I called
> microsoft support where you pay 35.00 per incident and
> they could not help me. Has anyone done this? Any help
> would be great.
>
> Thank you
>
> John
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 5:39:04 PM

John,

I had the same requirement for some kiosk machines. I found the reg value
that hides the Printers and Faxes icon on the Start menu.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Start_ShowPrinters:REG_DWORD

Set to 0 to hide the icon
Set to 1 to display icon

This is a per-user setting. You will need to logon twice, once to set the
value and the second for the change to take effect.

I have also included a custom ADM template for deploying via GPO.
---------start here------------------------------

CLASS USER

CATEGORY !!Company

CATEGORY !!StartMenu

POLICY !!PrinterFaxIcon
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced"
EXPLAIN !!PrinterFaxIcon_Explain
VALUENAME !!PrinterFaxIconValueName
VALUEON NUMERIC 1
VALUEOFF NUMERIC 0

END POLICY ;;PrinterFaxIcon
END CATEGORY ;;StartMenu
END CATEGORY ;;Company

[strings]
Company=YourCompanyNameHere
StartMenu="Start Menu"
PrinterFaxIcon="Show "Printers and Faxes" icon on the Start menu"
PrinterFaxIcon_Explain="Enable or disable display of Printers and Faxes icon
on the Start menu.\n\nDefault setting is to display the icon on the Start
menu. Setting this to enabled has the same effect as the default setting.
\n\nChoosing Disabled will hide the "Printers and Faxes" icon from the Start
menu.
PrinterFaxIconValueName="Start_ShowPrinters"

Arden

"John" wrote:

> I am using windows xp Proff. I am using gpedit to lock
> down the computer. I can remove everything except the
> printers and faxes icon from the start menu. I called
> microsoft support where you pay 35.00 per incident and
> they could not help me. Has anyone done this? Any help
> would be great.
>
> Thank you
>
> John

Anonymous