How to hide the printers and faxes icon from startmenu

I am using windows xp Proff. I am using gpedit to lock
down the computer. I can remove everything except the
printers and faxes icon from the start menu. I called
microsoft support where you pay 35.00 per incident and
they could not help me. Has anyone done this? Any help
would be great.

Thank you

John
3 answers Last reply
More about hide printers faxes icon startmenu

    John, you could have saved yourself 35 bucks and rt click on Start
    Button>select Properties>Customize>Advanced>scroll down and uncheck Printers
    and Faxes.
    "John" <jgundelaanonymous@mchenry.edu> wrote in message
    > I am using windows xp Proff. I am using gpedit to lock
    > down the computer. I can remove everything except the
    > printers and faxes icon from the start menu. I called
    > microsoft support where you pay 35.00 per incident and
    > they could not help me. Has anyone done this? Any help
    > would be great.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > John

    John,

    I had the same requirement for some kiosk machines. I found the reg value
    that hides the Printers and Faxes icon on the Start menu.

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

    Start_ShowPrinters:REG_DWORD

    Set to 0 to hide the icon
    Set to 1 to display icon

    This is a per-user setting. You will need to logon twice, once to set the
    value and the second for the change to take effect.

    I have also included a custom ADM template for deploying via GPO.
    ---------start here------------------------------

    CLASS USER

    CATEGORY !!Company

    CATEGORY !!StartMenu

    POLICY !!PrinterFaxIcon
    KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced"
    EXPLAIN !!PrinterFaxIcon_Explain
    VALUENAME !!PrinterFaxIconValueName
    VALUEON NUMERIC 1
    VALUEOFF NUMERIC 0

    END POLICY ;;PrinterFaxIcon
    END CATEGORY ;;StartMenu
    END CATEGORY ;;Company

    [strings]
    Company=YourCompanyNameHere
    StartMenu="Start Menu"
    PrinterFaxIcon="Show "Printers and Faxes" icon on the Start menu"
    PrinterFaxIcon_Explain="Enable or disable display of Printers and Faxes icon
    on the Start menu.\n\nDefault setting is to display the icon on the Start
    menu. Setting this to enabled has the same effect as the default setting.
    \n\nChoosing Disabled will hide the "Printers and Faxes" icon from the Start
    menu.
    PrinterFaxIconValueName="Start_ShowPrinters"

    Arden

    --
    jlackman

Configuration Microsoft Printers Windows XP