Bloomfield or wait for Clarkdale?

I'm getting ready to build a new gaming box and am wondering if I should go with an i7 920 now or wait until the Clarkdale chips come out?
5 answers Last reply
More about bloomfield wait clarkdale
  1. The general rule with buying a computer is that if you need it now, buy it now, if not, then wait. There'll always be something better along in six months.
  2. MarkG said:
    The general rule with buying a computer is that if you need it now, buy it now, if not, then wait. There'll always be something better along in six months.
    I know... I adhere to that philosophy most of the time, although I do try to come in at the top of the producty cycle when possible especially when it's a matter of waiting a month.
  3. While Clarksdale has some good things going for it, being just a dual core sets it third chair for me. It will be 32mn making it a lower power draw and great OC potential. But if you're talking budget ranges of the 920, you're probably have the money for a decent GPU anyway. But the i5 750 would be a great choice if your just gaming and free up some money so you can get a better GPU, which is where your money should be for a gaming rig.
  4. skora said:
    While Clarksdale has some good things going for it, being just a dual core sets it third chair for me. It will be 32mn making it a lower power draw and great OC potential. But if you're talking budget ranges of the 920, you're probably have the money for a decent GPU anyway. But the i5 750 would be a great choice if your just gaming and free up some money so you can get a better GPU, which is where your money should be for a gaming rig.
    Ahhh... for some reason I thought the Clarkdale was a quad... I can never keep their codenames straight. :??: I guess I should ask what processor will likely replace the i7 975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield as [a] choice gaming proc and approximately when?
  5. If you're suggesting in the slightest that the 975 EE is a gaming CPU choice, I'm not the one to be talking to. I think spending that much on a CPU that doesn't offer any noticeable performance increase than the less expensive versions OC'd is a serious waste of cash. But to answer your question, the next offering will be the i9 Gulftown, 6-core CPUs. They'll launch in the $1k+ price bracket 1st half 2010. Again, thats way more CPU horsepower than is needed and that money is better spent elsewhere. The i5 750 isn't going to bottleneck a gaming rig to the point that FPS drop below 60 from the CPU. If you want those dual heavy GPUs, the 920 OC'd is best bang for the buck and won't be slowing your system down at all.

Here's a summation of the intel roadmap:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Nehalem_(microarchitecture)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Bloomfield Product