Sign in with
Your question

HP dv7-2173cl issue when upgrading CPU, checksum error

Last response: in CPUs
November 10, 2009 12:12:17 AM

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-2173cl... i recently installed/upgraded a new processor from a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz P7350 to a Intel Core 2 Duo Xtreme 3.06 Ghz X9100 . I assembled the latop back together and boot it up. It stops and it says:

"Checksum Error"

press"F1" to load Cmos default value

Press "F10" to BIOS setup options

I have tried pressing both of buttons, and nothing wroks. It wont even restart after pressing ctrl+alt+del. I cant get into Bios either upon booting up. I have tried to reset the BIOS by switching the jumper pin, but there is no pin to be found. I have also removed the CMOS battery for 10sec+, but still getting same issue.

I then proceeded to call HP. HP stated that I am getting this msg becuase the processor is not compatible with the motherboard I have and were very insistant on me buying a new motherboard. Is this true? I have bought the upgraded processor on ebay and ran through other forums where they basically state that the CPU is exchangable with my current laptops motherboard. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 12:43:59 AM

yeah the proc isn't compatible with the mobo, it is too fast for the mobo and other components

don't get a new mobo though just a proc better than what u have
m
l
November 11, 2009 1:51:22 AM

Upendra09 said:
yeah the proc isn't compatible with the mobo, it is too fast for the mobo and other components

don't get a new mobo though just a proc better than what u have

Yeah, I actually installed back the old CPU booted back to the OS, downloaded the correct BIOS, shutdown, put back in the new processor, and was able to flash the BIOS to the correc CPU... laptop is much faster now... i just cant believe HP would lie and tell me it cant be done and that I have to get a whole new motherboard to upgrade to that processor... screw them!
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2009 9:15:20 AM

could you contact me via email: capri.os@windowslive.com . i have the same laptop and am also getting a new cpu, so would have some questions on dissasembley. I would be very greatfull for any info that you can provide...
m
l
April 16, 2010 11:49:41 PM

Hello,

Email me also, I would like to upgrade mine also and I would like to know exactly what to do.

Thanks

bootheelboxing@yahoo.com
m
l
June 4, 2011 12:22:17 AM

Please email me i have the same laptop and i would like to upgrade it also. I would like to know where to start. I'm a quick learner just tell me what i need to do. Please Email Me. TheRightOne08+LaptopUpgrade@gmail.com My email is like that just so i know where you're from. Thanks. Please write it exactly as it is.

Thanks In Advance
m
l
June 29, 2011 7:27:25 PM

kliongv101 said:
Yeah, I actually installed back the old CPU booted back to the OS, downloaded the correct BIOS, shutdown, put back in the new processor, and was able to flash the BIOS to the correc CPU... laptop is much faster now... i just cant believe HP would lie and tell me it cant be done and that I have to get a whole new motherboard to upgrade to that processor... screw them!

What do you mean by downloading the correct BIOS? Did you download an HP BIOS Update from an HP Laptop that already had that CPU in it? I upgraded my dv7-2173cl with a Core 2 Quad Q9100. I had updated to the latest BIOS of the 2173cl and it detects the CPU fine. However, the laptop simply shuts down after a short while. I am using a 120 watt power supply as well.

Thank you,

Stephen
m
l
November 29, 2013 12:22:27 PM

bwicked said:
Hello,

Email me also, I would like to upgrade mine also and I would like to know exactly what to do.

Thanks

bootheelboxing@yahoo.com

i just upgraded this laptop from the p7350 to a p8800 using the lastest bios avaible to the laptop , no problems booted normally , bios and windows detected the faster CPU and its been working fine , added some MX4 thermal past and its running from the regular 50c now it @40c , pc feels faster and gained a good 6-8 FPS in most games.

m
l
!