Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CM690 + Megahalems + top fans = fit?!

Last response: in Components
November 10, 2009 12:21:15 AM

Well, I am installing a Prolimatech Megahalems (Megatron if you will) on a CM690.
I do know they fit, but I want to know if I can also fit the top fans on the case or if the heatsink will block them. I am installing it as recommended by the manufacturer (fan blowing from right to left, towards the back exhaust fan).
So, anybody else has CM690 case with Megahalems and could confirm this for me, please?

Cheers

Best solution

November 10, 2009 6:13:05 AM

I have CM690 but don't have megahelem, though I have IFX-14 which is also quite big cooler.
i have fitted my IFX to blow bottom-high because of 2 reasons:
- warm air rises, so it is more natural that fans are also blowing upwards
- on top of the case I have 2x140mm fans (scythe) which is better than the 1x120 mm in the rear of the case

also have 1x140 on the bottom + the front 120mm blue led (original fan from CM690)

this setup is keeping my Q9650 which is oveclocked to 4.23 GHz nice and cool
a c 136 ) Power supply
November 10, 2009 6:25:16 AM

I have the Antec 1200 case and asked Prolimatech tech support which way to install the Prolimatech Shadow (same thing, different metal finish). My PC assembly bench (aka dining room table) was covered with parts and fearing the wrath of "she who must be obeyed" we started the build before Prolima folks had answered thinking logically that as heat rises, should install w/ fans blowing up.

Latter that day, e-mail arrived from Prolima saying that their testing has shown best performance with HS fans blowing towards the rear of the case. My guess is, this gives 2 way cooling with fans blowing to back and natural convection, combined w/ top fan taking cross ventilation in the other direction.

Didn't change it but if we decide to pull off the MoBo heatsinks off replace the thermal compound, will do it then.
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2009 5:19:01 PM

For the CM 690 and all other cases with a fan grill in the bottom panel,
I think it only helps to install an intake fan in that second fan grill:

the other one in the bottom panel is dedicated to cooling the PSU.

We also recommend adding a dust filter to that fan in the bottom panel, e.g.:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Because this dust filter will create "drag" on the intake air flow,
it's also a good idea to install a fan with a 3-speed switch,
and leave that switch on HI.

Then, to clean that dust filter, all you need to do is
remove the left side panel, pop the frame off that filter assembly,
wash the filter, and then re-install. This little task will be necessary
only on occasion e.g. every 3-6 months.

This setup also eliminates the need to disconnect all the cables
from the rear panel too, for such routine maintenance.

Occam's Razor: the simplest solution is always the best solution.

p.s. If you look closely at Corsair's 800D Obsidian chassis
http://www.corsair.com/products/800d/default.aspx
they require you to pull the bottom panel's dust filter
OUT TOWARDS THE REAR. If you're like us with more than
one workstation under your desk, that requirement is inferior
to pulling the bottom panel's dust filter OUT THE FRONT!!

MRFS
m
l
November 11, 2009 2:42:11 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys!

I've installed it yesterday night, and it fitted very well!
Its in push-pull config. with two medium grade fans (XLF 1255, 1500rpm, 61cfm, 20dB) pointing to the rear, where I have a Coolermaster R4 fan (2000rpm, 90cfm, 19dB). Working great!
With both fans controlled by the motherboard (installed them together on the cpu fan header with a "Y cable" for pwm fans from Gelid) at about 1000rpm the cpu is idling on 36 celsius (@ stock freq.) and 55 on prime95 torture tests!
That piece of s*** that intel ships the i7 with was doing 44 celsius on the same conditions and if tried prime95 it always went above 80 forcing me to stop.

Megahalems are really good! ;) 

As for the whole case configuration: i have 3 coolermasters 12mm, 2 as intake from the bottom and front, and 1 as exhaust from the top/rear; and that Coolermaster R4 blowing loads from the back (exhaust). No side fans, but dust filters on the side openings and intakes. All the exhausts and the cpu dual fans are motherboard-controlled, and the intakes work at full spin strait from the psu.

Working great!

m
l
!