msconfig set to restart in safe mode - now stuck

I am helping someone get rid of a virus. According to
Symantec I got them to set MSCONFIG to restart in Safe
Mode. Once restarted, they are asked for password. It
doesn't accept it. (We know it's right) Can't get out of
restart to Safe Mode. Totally stuck at this point. Any
Ideas????

Gus

Gus, try tapping F8 repeatedly on Startup until you get a Menu. Select
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Do a System Restore. Check here for more info.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;304449