Sign in with
Your question

X2 4600+ to 6000+ worth it?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 10, 2009 2:27:34 AM

Newegg has on oem x2 6000+ for sale for $55 Shipped, this is one of the fasted cpus my AM2 board will accept.

My question: Is it worth the upgrade? Or should I save up for an upgrade down the road?

More about : 4600 6000 worth

a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 2:59:55 AM

You need to ask yourself if you need the upgrade. Are you a gamer looking to play new games? A power user constantly rendering videos and other cpu intensive tasks? or maybe just someone who surfs the web? If you are noticing a slowdown, the upgrade might be worth it, but if your system suits your needs, you might want to save for the inevitable new system.

The cpu will give you up to 25% performance increase btw. Keep in mind, though, that if your other components are lower end, the cpu won't do much in terms of increasing performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 3:18:44 AM

Once you figure out if peppermans questions warrant an upgrade,

Be sure to check what TDP your mobo can handle. 125w is heavy and not all of the AM2 boards support TDPs that high even if it says it supports Athlon 64 X2.

m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2009 3:39:09 AM

My mobo is a Asus M2A-VM, 3GB of DDR2 Dual Channel, The aforementioned Athlon X2 4600+ and a Geforce 8800GT.

My main reason is two fold:

1: Increase my overall system performance.
2: I am told that upgrading to a faster gpu, like a 250GTS would nto make sence as I am bottlenecked by my cpu, upgrading my cpu will allow me to take advantage of the faster gpu, thus extending the life of my system further.

I mainly play WoW on my system, and while my system can handle WoW well most of the time, it does slow down during intensive fights and I am not running at maxx visual settings.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 3:47:23 AM

Your mobo will handle the new cpu just fine, and yes, your gpu is being bottlenecked slightly by your cpu, so upgrading would help alleviate that problem, and it will probably increase your frames in WoW because of that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 3:53:02 AM

That board will support the 6000+. Probably a worthwhile upgrade if you're looking to extend the life of this system. The 8800GT is a good card and should be plenty for WoW unless you're on a really big display. The real bottleneck for most mmpogs is the HDD. There's tons of data to load into the GPU with everyone having custom avatars, that the cache can't support. So the delays will show up during raids because the GPU is waiting for the HDD to physically pull the data since its not preloaded. If you have an older HDD, also consider something like the spinpoint F3 500gb HDD. $55 or less on sale and a great performer for the money.
m
l
November 10, 2009 4:04:26 AM

I have a 320GB Hitachi Deskstar 16MB buffer, not the newst, but not too bad either :p 

If I upgrade to the new CPU, do you think an upgrade to a 250GTS would be worthwhile upgrade as well?
m
l
November 10, 2009 4:04:58 AM

Worthy upgrade, I have a 5000+ x2 and I would take the upgrade if I had the money. Though my system is pretty balanced, and I am just going to leave it alone till i buy a new one.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 4:11:29 AM

hopar said:
I have a 320GB Hitachi Deskstar 16MB buffer, not the newst, but not too bad either :p 

If I upgrade to the new CPU, do you think an upgrade to a 250GTS would be worthwhile upgrade as well?

If you want to upgrade your graphics card, I advise against getting a 250 GTS; 1) you probably won't notice a significant performance increase and 2), they are priced terribly high for their performance. That being said, if you really want to upgrade your graphics card, I recommend no less than a 4870/GTX 260/5770, otherwise, the performance increase wouldn't be worth the money, IMO.

However, considering that all you play is WoW, the 8800 GT should be plenty, depending on your resolution, of course, but since you haven't mentioned overall low performance, but rather just in some cases, it leads me to believe that the problem does not lie with the gpu.
m
l
November 10, 2009 4:18:24 AM

Hopar, you will most benefit from the CPU upgrade then the Video card.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 4:27:02 AM

hopar said:

GeForce GTS 250 is a re-branded GeForce 9800GTX which is not at all worth the upgrade over an 8800GT which has been re-branded as a 9800GT.

Essentially what you're asking us is if upgrading from a 9800GT to a 9800GTX is worth it and the answer is a clear and resounding no.

If that sounds confusing it's because nVIDIA is gung-ho about re-branding cards and confusing the hell out of everyone.

If you're going to be upgrading, I would suggest something like a Radeon HD 5770.
m
l
November 10, 2009 4:30:35 AM

I might be able to aquire the 250GTS from a friend in a couple months for cheap when he decides to upgrade, ohh and I play on 1280 b y 1040, and i have setting up to medium generally, but they go to medium during raids and even than I can get drops bellow 20fps during some intensive fights, Ony whelp phase takes me to single digits at times O_o
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 4:47:46 AM

Its not a bad upgrade for 55 bucks and a x2 6000 with your gpu really should not have a problem with WoW at that resolution with everything maxed out.

If you save some money you could get a am2+ board and a new phenom cpu. Re-use all the rest of your parts. And upgrade the graphics later down the line if needed. I say go with AM2+ because you could re-use your current ram.
m
l
November 10, 2009 5:30:54 AM

someguy7 said:
Its not a bad upgrade for 55 bucks and a x2 6000 with your gpu really should not have a problem with WoW at that resolution with everything maxed out.

If you save some money you could get a am2+ board and a new phenom cpu. Re-use all the rest of your parts. And upgrade the graphics later down the line if needed. I say go with AM2+ because you could re-use your current ram.

Yes but I am looking at $160+ for a descent mobo and an Athlon II 250, which would not be any faster than the 6000+ (both are 3hz 1mb procs), sure i can than pair a more powerful cpu to the new mobo and go over $200... and by that logic I can go for an am3 board and pick up DDR3... and so on, vicious cycle :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 5:41:49 AM

Since this is a one step at a time upgrade, start with the CPU. Might be worth it to see how fast you can OC it before putting any money into this. If that gets you the performance you need, stop. If it doesn't work, buy the 6000+. I'd advise against putting any money into the 250 GTS since you're talking single digit performance increase. Not worth it. The next jump you should do is a Dx 11 GPU. Wait for prices to drop, but at 1280x1024, a 5750 will be more than enough or the 5670s may be out by then. Black Friday will be a chance to get some steals too.
m
l
November 10, 2009 7:39:51 AM

hmn, u are suggesting I push my 4600+? I could try that I suppose, its a 2.4ghz chip, how far cna those be safely pushed with stock cooling? I do have an external 80mm fan blowing air on the stock AMD cooler and my case is overall very well ventilated.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 8:36:31 AM

Each chip will be different and I'm not sure what's typical for that chip. But I wouldn't worry too much about a safe OC since the chip is on its way out anyway. If you get the performance you want, its a free upgrade, and you can either spend the money on something else or your GPU upgrade.
m
l
November 10, 2009 5:13:39 PM

I just OCed the cpu, and the most i could get out of before it would stop loading WinXP was 2520 (210x12). I guess an extra 120mhz for free isnt bad, especially since its hovering around 40-42c while playing WoW on stock cooling, I guess that's what i get with a 90nm tech cpu :p  My friend who has a Athlon II 250 can get his cpu up to 3450 with stock cooling and cpu still runs lower temps, 45nm tech ftw i guess.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 6:00:31 PM

If you have voltage control on your mobo you should be able to adjust that and get higher.
m
l
November 10, 2009 6:34:09 PM

I thinks I do, how high can i safely get it too? dont want to fry the chip right here and now :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 7:26:49 PM

Depending on which one you have (Windsor, Windsor EE, Brisbane) the manufacturer specs range from 1.25 to 1.35. Overall, you should be safe with up to 1.45 without damage, but make sure you monitor your temps.
m
l
!